Chapter 19- A Painful Call

Alec's POV:

My eyes wouldn't budge. I didn't let Kick feel comfortable, not once. He was preparing to leave, but nothing for weapons didn't seem to make it hard. He was stalling.

"Keep this hidden," Merrick reminded Kick, handing him the knife of Sephtis.

"And don't let it touch your skin," Hesh added.

"I know, I know," Kick tucked the knife into his hidden pocket on his leg. "I need to go now, before someone rips my head off," his gaze glanced to me.

I rolled my eyes as Kick hugged Merrick and then Hesh, even patting Riley on the head. Crossing my arms, I waited for him to join me by the entrance.

"You wouldn't do the same if it were your family?" Kick tilted his head at me as he joined me.

"My family is fucked up, so no," I snapped.

"I know you're upset that you can't do this yourself," Kick spoke annoyingly as I walked off towards our faraway destination, "but I'm trying to protect you."

"I can protect myself."

"You really think you can hold off Hailey?" Kick pressed. "With how she's advanced and how she thinks of you right now, you really think you'd win that fight? She has Ivana and Logan on her side too."

I didn't say anything.

"Do you?"

"No," I finally admitted, tension in my shoulders decreasing. "Ivana won't have Logan for long. Once we have him, it will be two against two."

"One and half," Kick was making me angry. "Your powers are lightening, Alec. Have you figured that out yet?"

"A trick by Ivana, I've decided," I looked off into the distance while I walked. "I think she's made it so that until I join her, I'm weak. She wants us to be strong as a family."

Kick didn't reply, yet instead looked around in the trees we passed. I started to enjoy the silence.

"Alec?"

I stifled a grumble. "Yes?"

"Is it possible for me to become like you?"

I blinked, continuing to walk in shock. "Yes," it was reluctant.

"How?"

"A lot of power and time," I admitted. "Remember Dakota? I changed her."

"Why haven't you changed any of us?"

"It ruins your life," I swallowed. "It changes you."

"So what? We've all changed."

"In ways that are painful. You have a drive to kill your family and friends. You always want to use your power in ways that hurt others. You live a shorter life."

"So you do want to truly help us."

"Yes," I dipped my head. "If I didn't I would have worked all of you into change. But I want you to live a life that is long and full and happy."

"What makes you think we aren't now?"

I stopped, looking around carefully. "This is where we part. If I go any closer, she will detect me."

"Okay," Kick stepped forwards.

"Remember to stay straight until the river," I met his fierce gaze. "Then turn left and follow it for a few miles. You'll see the place to your right."

"Got it," Kick hesitated. "Goodbye, Alec."

"Don't make it sound like we're never going to see each other again," I growled and Kick smirked.

"Wasn't trying to."

~~~

I arrived back at base within moments, using my super speed to arrive quickly. Hesh was playing fetch with Riley. I walked past him towards the weight room, where I knew I had to blow off steam.

As I started doing heavy bench presses, Hesh followed me inside. He wanted to talk, I could tell, but stayed silent until I broke a sweat.

"I've never seen the Ghosts this small, there has almost always been five of us."

I stopped and rested the bar and weights on the rest. Sitting up, I wiped my face. "Who?"

This was where Hesh seemed older than me, even though he was just a few years younger. I hadn't known about the Ghosts for as long as he had.

"First it was Rorke, Elias, and their team. Then it was my father, Keegan, Logan, Merrick, Kick, and I. After Elias, my father, died, it was just Merrick leading Keegan, Logan, Kick, and I. Ever since Hailey, it's been six. Now, when it's three, I feel too exposed," Hesh explained.

"Three?" I demanded.

"Are you a Ghost or not?" Hesh cocked his head.

I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. If I wasn't a Ghost, then I was with Ivana. If I was, then I was against her. Even though I despised the Ghosts, some part of me had grown to love them. We all had one thing in common: a hate for Ivana and love for Hailey.

"Yes."

"Three," Hesh pointed out.

"Do you think we're going to get Hailey back?" I suddenly opened up.

Hesh paused. "I hope so. What makes you doubt?"

"When I visited her to get that Sephtis, she seemed so happy. Illusion was trotting along with her. I just feel like she's going to leave us completely," I felt tears well in my eyes. "If she leaves us, I'm never going to be free, Hesh."

"Free?" Hesh narrowed his eyes.

"Rorke made me swear that I would always take care of my family. Keegan has haunted me when I haven't ever since I killed him. If I don't bring Hailey back, I'm failing everyone, including myself," I wiped a single tear away quickly. "She's the only thing I have left, Hesh. I can't lose her too."

"And you won't," Hesh leaned forwards. "I won't let you."

"Sending Kick away like this," I paused. "It's stupid. He's going to die, Hesh."

Merrick, in the background, and Hesh both widened their eyes.

"That's right, I let him lead himself to his death because he wanted to. Ivana is going to see him and then have Logan kill him. There's no stopping it and that's why I wanted to go, because she can't kill me."

"But Hailey can," Hesh pointed out. "And if she kills you, then we're all fucked."

"But I-I don't m-matter," I suddenly felt dizzy, a burning sensation grabbing my core.

"Alec?" Hesh stood up and I stumbled off the bench I sat on.

"Stop," I yelled. "Fuck!"

With my outburst, a hard hit like I'd been stabbed hit my heart. I fell back, screaming in agony. Hesh tried to calm me, yelling out to Merrick. My body was jerking in every direction, making my break my arm.

"Alec!" Merrick yelled.

My entire world went black.