"I'm glad he's gone," I finally say.

Bogdan hums under his throat with faint agreement. Silence settles between the two of us until another question surfaces.

"Why did you need Kelly's help?" I ask.

"I needed him to watch over you while you were in captivity," Bogdan answers with a strong, steady voice.

My heart flutters. He doesn't mean for it to be sweet, but it still manages to make an impact.

"You couldn't watch over me yourself?"

Bogdan's voice becomes distant guarded. "I would have failed."

The immortal man is chiseled perfection. Yes, he is brutal and unwavering with his ideas and convictions, but there's nothing about him that could be tied to failure.

"Kelly just changed," I counter. "You have far more willpower and strength than he does."

The pacing stops again. There's a beat of stillness until Bogdan's footsteps move closer to the bed. My pulse goes into overdrive, and my willpower caves. I drop my gaze to his. Fiery, red eyes collide with mine. The dim light casts shadows against the contours of his features.

He stares down at me. "Not when it comes to you."

Another heart flutter resonates in my chest, but this time it is so strong that it quivers in the pit of my stomach. It's the first conversation we're having now that both of us know the truth – that my blood is his and only his.

"Why?" I whisper breathlessly.

Bogdan stops at the end of the bed. He doesn't sit. Now that I'm looking up at him, he seems taller than usual. His broad shoulders tense at my question and his jaw tics.

"Because ever since I claimed your blood, whenever someone touches you...kisses you...it causes me to feel. It's something I haven't experienced since I was a mortal," Bogdan explains icily. "And I cannot control those emotions, human. They don't allow me to think clearly."

I nod in understanding, trying not to squirm under the intensity of his gaze.

"I think what you might be feeling is jealousy," I whisper hopefully. "Maybe even possessiveness?

"I know what it's called," he snaps with a sharp edge to his voice. "The problem isn't putting a name to the emotion, human, but rather how to control it."

He is practically growling with irritation. I suck my bottom lip into my mouth and nibble on it. The change must be infuriating for him, but is it so wrong that I find it attractive?

For weeks I thought Bogdan didn't care about me at all. Now that I know the truth, the other pain slowly slips away. He doesn't just want me; he is actually possessive over me. I shift the blankets, making sure Bogdan can't see my growing excitement beneath the comforter.

"I...I don't know what to tell you," I say hesitantly. "Have you had any luck so far?"

Bogdan stares at my swollen, bottom lip. "No."

His hungry gaze devours me. My heart slams against my chest, a wild bird pleading against a metal cage. Hopeful tingles caress the length of my neck at the mere thought of his lips pressing against the tender flesh above my racing pulse. I bite down on my lip again, this time so hard that the coppery taste of blood spreads over my taste buds.

Bogdan's eyes narrow. The red color swirls and recedes to make way for a simmering black.

"You should not have done that, human."