Dark Dreams: An Anthology by @Tenebris_Somnia

Fear of the dark

Fear of the dark. It starts at a young age, sometimes with nothing else to trigger it than the feeling of isolation brought about by being indivertibly deprived of the most reliable of our senses.

If you think you don't suffer from it, think twice. Pay attention to that brief skip of the heart the moment you step into pitch black. There's always a fraction of a second that counts as an abysmal fall before we find our footing once again.

Ask me, go ahead. Is it okay to be afraid? I'd say yes without hesitation. It is the sort of dread that keeps us in place, reminding us how small we really are. Somewhere, deep within our collective subconscious, there's a scampering little mammal quite aware of not being the hottest member of team apex predator...

However, we grow up and in time learn to be in control of such terrors. We are well equipped to deal with darkness. Technology is on our side, for one. I'm not only talking about that first spark of flame that opened the way to burn the world in our wake. No. Our progression as humans have dispelled the uncertainties generated by superstition. We know how to identify, trap and dissect the monsters we created.

That is, until we close our eyes and lose control.

Dark dreams. They haunt us, shaping our lives, driving us insane, tearing through walls built by reason and logic with sharpened claws. They come from within us, vowing to drag us back to where we came from, making us remember all those things we thought overpowered.

I can guess at another question... Is it okay to give in? I don't know. It all depends on how brave, curious or willing to take a risk you really are.

The authors in this anthology have their own motives to step in. For some, it was a challenge that moved them out of their comfort zones. For others, is a game we play the monsters under our beds against the ones who breed in our heads. Deep down, we are toying with the idea of facing our fears.

And no one wants to walk that path alone.

Welcome to Tenebris Somnia. We'll see you on the other side.

Tenebris_Somnia will be hosting the Dark Dreams anthology, running through the month of October