Chapter 57

Randel stepped quickly through the dank halls of the prison, Valana behind him. While he didn't have a personal slave as his mother did, the elder woman was the only person he trusted in the cutthroat world of Moldovan nobles. She'd always been there when his mother hadn't when he needed advice. And she knew things that he would never dare mention to his mother.

He soon found the guard he was looking for. "My lord," The guard gave a bow. "How may I be of service?"

"I wish to meet with the elf accused of murdering my father. I need to look her in the eyes."

"Very well, my lord."

Moments later, he was being led down the corridor. The elf was chained to the wall, but was still defiant. She had the look of one who couldn't be broken. He still thought her as beautiful as the night he met her at his house's masquerade.

Randel waved the guard out. "Leave us."

"My lord," he started to say.

"I said leave us."

"As you wish." The guard bowed and left.

As soon as Valana assured him the guard was well out of earshot, Randel turned to the elf he only knew as Denae. "I don't know if you truly are the one who killed my father as my mother accuses you and I don't care. If you truly are Vashti, despite your denials, fight them."

She blinked, taken completely by surprise. "That is an odd comment coming from the son of Conaire."

"Conaire was a fool! He let his loins get the best of him and he lost an eye and his honor for it."

The elf was studying him. "Yet that is not the reason you are angry."

Randel shook his head. "I lost both of my parents a long time ago. We ceased being a family before the escape. I am angry because you somehow slipped up and were caught."

"What makes you think I didn't just allow myself to be captured? And why would you care if a slave were caught or not? Not that I was once one."

"Despite your denials, I know you are Vashti. Only you will be able to rally the slaves to face their fears. You are their only hope."

"I've heard the tales, Randel. Their only hope is an Elysium."

"Find a way to escape," Randel was pleading with her now. "Kildea signed all of your death warrants the moment he finished with Reilen. You for the murder of my father, Astaldo as a spy, and Reilen for treason."

The first flicker of emotion he'd seen since she and the others were arrested passed over the elf's face. "What?"

"Astaldo refused to speak. Nikolai told Kildea that he had stolen you from their grasp. He wouldn't confirm or deny the charge. Even when he threatened you. And Reilen confessed to protect his daughters. He's not doing any kind of trial. You've succeeded this long without capture. Find a way to escape this! Lead the slaves to their freedom as I'm sure you returned to do. I will aid you."

"And leave the others to their fates? I will not leave them to die in my stead."

"Randel," Valana whispered. He heard the guards returning.

"Do you truly wish to die like this?"

The guards entered and as they replaced her shackles, she gave Randel a small, knowing smile. "I have no plans to die." The elf was led away.

Randel couldn't help but chuckle to himself. Perhaps she had allowed herself to be captured. She must have had some sort of plan.

~~~

Randel and Valana made their way out of the prison. They were met by Silas, the heir to the Moldovan throne. "Silas," Randel said with a bow.

"What did she have to say?" the duke asked in a low voice.

"She is still denying that she is Vashti," the noble replied in a voice just as low. Valana took a few steps away to keep a look out against eavesdroppers.

"What do you think?"

"I think she is. But I also think the rebellion will begin on the day they are scheduled for execution."

"I had that feeling when my father was questioning them. That Astaldo fellow was pretty defiant."

Randel sighed then frowned. "What will you do if the rebellion does start?"

"You'll need someone on the inside to feed you and the others information and I will do that when I am able. You know I am not my father's favorite son. But that allows me to be overlooked. I will do what I can to aid your cause." He sighed. "Hopefully when all is said and done we can overthrow Father and I can finally look for my son."

"Than good luck, my friend."

"And too you. And try not to get killed when the rebellion starts."

~~~

In a way, Ainnileas was relieved to see Jelina returned to her cell. She was walking on her own, which meant they hadn't tortured her. "Are you alright?"

Jelina looked amused. "Considering where we are, yes." Ainnileas had to smile. She reached through the bars that separated them. "I'm sorry I pulled you into this. You wouldn't be here if it weren't for me."

"I chose this." Ainnileas took her hands into his. "You saved my life that night. The three of you could have left us to our fates. You and Ruarc could have died with Alistair. You could have left me to fend for myself. But you didn't. You chose to return to the village and rally us. I chose to fight by your side and return here with you." He stroked her cheek. "Just like I chose not to fight my feelings for you." He wanted to take her into his arms and kiss her then. And he would have had not those Elohim forsaken bars been between them. "If I am to die, I want it to be with you."

She placed her hand on his cheek. "I wish for you not to think like that. You'll not die for me." The very words she'd spoken to him as he lay dying with an arrow in his chest the day her power surfaced.

"You have a plan?"

Jelina only smiled.