Chapter 7 - Mistakes & Apologies

**NANDINI**

I was sitting here crying my eyes out. Now what will I do? I don’t even have a job. All thanks to Manik. Just one event with him and again a complete new turn in my life. Everywhere almost every-damn-where I was getting bashed. For what?? For coming between MANYA. Some shit that doesn’t even exist now. Why the hell people are so obsessed? I even lost my job.

“Nandini… It’s alright..!! Sab theek ho jayega. Don’t Cry..”. Cabir said, sitting beside me handling me a mug of hot chocolate.

Thanks to Cabir, I’m safe today. Yesterday It was Cabir who found me and brought me to his house. He was so mad at Manik that he was breathing fire. I couldn’t do anything coz I was so busy crying and worrying about Manik.

“Cab-Cabir I looked everywhere for him. I don’t know where he is?” I sobbed as if Manik is a kid who got lost ad I was responsible for it.

“Are you serious? You’re still worried about him. That asshole left you in the Party. He is going to get a good lecture from me on this.” He paused

“Actually, No..!! I’m not going to say anything to him this time. In fact I’m not going to speak to him. Yes..!! That’s probably the best thing.” He had this sadness in his tone as he took that resolution.

“Cabir it’s okay. You don’t need to spoil your friendship because of me.” I smiled at him and somehow managed my tears. He gave me soft smile in return.

“You know Nandini. Manik is not like he is now. He is the most kind-hearted and generous person you’ll ever meet. Only if you had come 5 years back in his life. He had the heart of gold.” He chuckled and corrected. “What had? I’m damn sure he still has. It’s just he doesn’t want to be good now, because his kindness got him nothing but cheating and disappointments in return”. He shook as if remembering the time.

“I call you Sister. It’s not like I go and make relationships with everyone.” He joked and a smile tugged at my lips too.

“I- I was 16 when ME and My Parents moved to Mumbai. Reason: I was GAY”. He shrugged nonchalantly but the bob of his throat made it clear that this is not what he just pretended. It’s something deep. He looked at me cackled before bursting into full blown laughter that he had to stop the car.

Yeah..!! Yeah..!! My jaw was kissing the floor of the car and my wide eyes were shamelessly looking from top to bottom at Cabir. No, No. It’s not like I’m allergic to gays, but the thing is Cabir surely doesn’t look or act like one.

“Oh-Oh God Nan-Nandini. The funniest and the cutest reaction so far”. He managed between his fits of laughter. I pouted and punched him playfully on the shoulder.

“Cabiiirrr” I shrieked and stomped my foot like a kid.

“Okay Okay. No..!! but seriously I’ve seen people looking at me horrified as if I’ve done some crime, sympathizing me with their sorry face, getting angry and all, But never like making sure with such confusion on their face even after what I just confessed.” How can someone make fun of a person after such serious confession? I huffed and crossed my arms looking in other direction.

Cabir revved up “Okay okay listen..” He started as he started driving and describing about his past and why is he so concerned. He still misses his family. Who wouldn’t? But what his parents did was beyond sin. I loathed them, and Manik. Well, He became the hero. At such young age, he was so mature, he saved his friend, helped him. No doubt HE IS A GEM, But as Cabir said his goodness is hidden behind his stupid obsession.

My train of thoughts were broken by the ringing of Cabir’s phone. He glared at it as if the call was the person himself. Yes..!! Manik's has been constantly calling from past 15 minutes. He even dropped a few messages asking if I was there? But the only response Cabir gave was muttering abuses but did nothing calm him.