'New as they come.'

Voices floated around in my head. Or where they outside? I just couldn’t tell at the moment, since some idiot seemed to have turned the lights off in – wherever I was.

All I really knew was that my head hurt – a lot – and all over my body I was aching. Well, this is weird. I swear I can hear Trent’s voice somewhere…. I thought, as the strange, yet familiar voices began to come closer and closer.

Riley, can you hear me? I could hear. Wait that was stupid, why would I be talking to myself? Maybe it was actually someone else. Although who could be talking to me inside my head, I didn’t know. Maybe’s it God?! I thought excitedly. Now that would be cool, if only my head would stop pounding…

Suddenly, the main voice became louder, and clearer too. It was almost as if the person was right next to me. I wanted to see them, see who was talking to me – but my eyes felt like a heavy weight had been tied to them, dragging them down. I didn’t even know if I had the energy to try and even open them, to be honest.

All I wanted right now was, sleep. And eventually I got it, but it didn’t come without the strange feeling of being carried.

***

When I woke up, and finally drifted into consciousness, I was thoroughly confused. As far as I could see, I was in my bed. Not only that, but I was wearing comfortable clothes, and the cover was neatly tucked in.

My mind began to whir, dazedly counting the possibilities of me coming home, undressing myself and getting into bed – and not remembering a single thing of it. Didn’t seem likely.

Did I even go to the skate park at all last night? Seems like I must’ve, due to the amount of bruises and scrapes I can feel all over my body. That’s another thing I don’t get. I never usually crash ever – unless someone distracts me. So what the hell happened last night?

See this is what you get by sneaking out to see people like Jake Bennett, Riley I silently reprimanded myself. Another thought struck me. It had been 7:00pm when I’d got to the skate park (or so I had led myself to believe). I’m vaguely remember being there for a good hour, but after that my memory had gone completely blank. Who knew how long it had taken me to get home, and what time it was now?

Frantically, I scrabbled around on my bedside table in the dark, searching for my phone. When I at last felt the cool, smooth surface of the case, I launched it up into my hands, and pounded on the main button. The time read 9.35pm. Well, it looked like I’d been out for a while. However, this discovery didn’t make me any less confused.

I wonder if Mom’s been up to check on me yet? I pondered. I decided to go downstairs and have a peek, and maybe pull the ‘miracle recovery’ card. As I walked downstairs, I could hear someone in the kitchen, and someone in the living room. It was more likely to be Mom in the kitchen, so I went there first.

“I’m surprised you haven’t check up on me yet, Mom.” I said casually. She whirled around and looked at me in a funny way as I stood in the doorway.

“Why would I, when Trent went to check on you two or so hours ago? I thought you needed some privacy.”

Okay, now I was incredibly confused. Not because Mom actually thought to give me some privacy for once (which was quite a big surprise), but because at 7:35pm, I was pretty sure that I would’ve already been at the skate park, so Trent ‘checking up on me’ would’ve been pretty impossible.

Unless he was lying. But why would he lie about it, is the question. If I saw Trent had snuck out while he was supposed to be in bed, sick, I would’ve had a field day out of all the chores I would get him to do for me in return for my silence.