'Well, your friends are...interesting.'

I followed Jenna towards the ‘canteen’ (or as I was used to calling it, cafeteria) and found that the layout was one quite similar to my old one, except the tables were smaller and rounder, plus there was a sort of balcony at the top.

“And this, is the canteen. And before you ask, we do not have any spectacular showdowns between the cheerleaders like you do in America.” She stated seriously. Wow, this girl has been watching way too many teen movies.

“Good. So where do the ‘popular’ people sit then?” Even if we didn’t have any ‘spectacular showdowns’ in the cafeteria, the group that people considered ‘popular’ always seemed to sit at the same table every lunch.

“Everywhere and anywhere, really. Except by the bins. No-one really does that. Besides, as long as they’re together they’re always ‘popular.’ That’s just how things work around here.”

“Right… Well, I’m looking for someone who might be a ‘popular,’ – although I seriously doubt it. But anyway, do you know where I could find them?”

“I’m assuming this is your brother you’re talking about right? Well, I doubt he’ll be in with that crowd yet, but if you want to go check, I’m pretty sure they’re on the balcony.”

“Great. I’ll just be a sec.” I answered, rolling up the sleeves of my jumper grimly. Someone, (and by someone I meant my evil, abandoning brother) was going to get it. Even if they were magically popular. In fact, that was all the better since I would have an audience.

“Wait!” Jenna called, as I turned to walk up the stairs leading to the balcony. “Just remember, don’t talk, look or even make eye contact with Jake, since I bet he’ll probably be up there.”

“Jake Bennett this, Jake Bennett that! What is so special about this guy? As far as I’m concerned, he’s just some stuck up skater boy.”

“Yeah, with a bad reputation.” Jenna replied, sighing. “Just be quick, kay? I’ll be over here.” I nodded and swiftly started ascending the stairs.

Shortly, I reached the top of the stairs, where surprisingly there was another door to get onto the balcony. Luckily enough, there was a small pane of glass in the top centre which allowed me to peek in.

Yep, it was definitely that distinctive quarterback jacket. Oh he was so in for it. Abruptly, I burst dramatically into the room. A couple of heads flickered towards where the noise came from, and then the nudging started, before everyone’s head was turned accusingly to me.

Suddenly, I was feeling a lot more intimidated. Especially as these people seemed to be the lucky type: smart, sporty and good looking. I had to say that even my brother fitted in with these people. Even so, it didn’t give him the right to abandon me. I couldn’t been kidnapped for all he knew!

Ignoring the curious stares thrown my way, I marched straight up to the table where Trent was sitting.

“Hey Trent!” I said enthusiastically, but in a false tone that would be unnoticeable to anyone else. He sat there uncomfortably, probably debating whether or not to acknowledge my presence.

He turned back to the amused, yet slightly suspicious faces of his ‘friends,’ and several annoyed looking girls.

“Excuse me, guys. I have to deal with this.” He said in a disgusted tone, as if the mere sight of me was too much too handle. Standing up, he started dragging me off to the other side of the balcony, which was empty.

“What the hell are you doing here, Riles? I thought I made the rules clear this morning!” he hissed irately.

“Well maybe they would’ve been a bit clearer if you hadn’t gone off and left me. Sure, I wouldn’t have minded if you’d actually told me where I was supposed to go first!”