54: LIFE AS WE KNEW IT (JOHNNY)

JASON is rushed to the hospital!

By the time anyone else got down on the ground with me I'd pulled off my tank top, bunched it up, and was pressing it against Jason's wound in a frantic attempt to stop the bleeding.

I was cradling his head in my arms and shouting, "It didn't come out! It didn't come out!"

I was looking all over his head, crazed, frightened, totally out of my mind. There was no exit wound!

"The fucking bullet's still in him," I yelled. "Help! Somebody help!"

Ernie had scrambled up to his knees, shocked at the blood all over him. "What the fuck happened?"

Daniel stooped down next to me. Others were rushing over from all directions. The satellite truck stopped and Hal jumped off with the camera. I learned later that everybody thought Jason had tripped and fallen and hit his head. They didn't understand all the blood. They didn't know why I was screaming.

I was like a wild man. "It was a bullet. Somebody in that car shot him in the head. He's gonna fucking die!"

Then suddenly Dino and Danny and the boys were there pushing everyone out of the way. Daniel jumped back up to his feet, wild alarm on his face as he hurried over to Hal and started talking to the camera. We were still being broadcast.

"Let us get him, Johnny," Dino demanded as he and Danny stooped down. "We'll take him to the hospital in the truck."

"Yah, it'll take too long to call 9-1-1 and wait for an ambulance," Danny cried.

I let Dino take Jason by the shoulders. "Keep that shirt pressed there. It's a bullet wound, bleeding like fuck."

Danny grabbed Jason's legs and they whisked him away, one of the other boys attending to the wound. The crowd parted again as the boys hurried to Dino's truck, now parked in the westbound  lane. Carey and Braden had grabbed me and were just about carrying me over to it.

I yelled back to Daniel, "The hospital. We gotta go to the hospital."

I let the boys bull me along as I watched Daniel's eyes and the camera follow us. Trenton was helping a confused Ernie along, running behind us.

The tailgate was down and Dino and Danny hefted Jason into the bed, helped by Corey and Harry. Harry went into the cab and started the engine as the rest of us climbed into the bed in hunkered down positions and Corey kept the pressure on Jason's wound.

I hoped that was the right thing to do. Who the hell knew? But if too much blood escaped ...

Dino shouted up front to Harry and he floored it and took off, flying past the CNN trucks and down the Athens Road. I could hear Pip barking excitedly up in the cab.

My heart was banging so fast I could hardly breathe . I couldn't believe this was happening. I was struggling to get free. Carey and Braden were holding me so tight I couldn't move.