Chapter 17 Ian and His Woman

Several weeks passed and efficiency at The Chicken and Waffle Inn was better than ever. Ian, Avery and Mrs. Madison picked the second Employee of the Month. The staff was excited about the incentive of a $100 gift card and one paid day off pass that could be used anytime within the month. They also initiated an employee suggestion box that quickly became very popular.

Ian compiled a list of the most ordered foods and came up with a campaign around them on their slowest day of the week. He called it Meal of the Month Monday. You would get a free dessert or appetizer for ordering anything on the Meal of the Month menu. People came in droves to get a taste of Clarissa's free peach cobbler and that boosted sales on Monday. It was such a success that Blake stopped by the office while Ian was working on the books.

"Great job, Ian. You're back on salary." Ian grinned.

Clarissa loved greeting the guests or working the cash register. She stopped going into the kitchen altogether. Some days, she didn't come to work at all. She spent the time either hanging out with Rena or spending time with Eldred. Blake gave Mrs. Madison a promotion and made up a title. He called her the Chief Observation Officer – the COO. All she had to do was watch and correct things that needed correction and be there for Ian and Avery. Then Blake took 5% of the money they made on Meal of the Month Monday and divided it between Avery and the night manager. That gave each of them a significant bonus every pay period.

The most difficult time Blake was having was not being able to spend time with Rena. They walked around the restaurant trying to be as professional with each other as possible. They'd smile and nod as they passed each other throughout the day. He tried calling but she wouldn't answer the phone. However, she would leave him a message occasionally that always seemed to get under his skin, like the one she left him yesterday.

Blake, please watch how you look at me while we're at work. You're going to get the staff in a buzz.

So she'd noticed. How could she not notice? He was watching her, every single move that beautiful body had made registered in his mind, or perhaps the one she'd sent the week before.

Where would my family be if we had not met so many years ago? I appreciate you, Blake.

He loved getting a glimpse into her head. He wondered how deep that statement was. It currently had his heart drowning. Appreciate me, humph, I know she loves me, flitted through his mind. He pulled his cell phone from his pocket and glided his finger across the words. His heart soared just at the sight of that message. Every day she walked past him, every time the faint hint of her perfume tickled his nose, he swelled with his passion for her.

Ian hadn't said any more to Avery about their conversation. She finally accepted that she'd misread the situation until he walked by her. "Avery, would you meet me at Elizabeth's on 37th at 7:30 tonight? I'd pick you up but I have some business to take care of this afternoon and won't be back in time to drive to your house and be there by 7:30."

Her stomach twisted and fluttered. Elizabeth's was one of the most elegant restaurants in Savannah. It was an intimate, historic mansion that was known for its elaborate antique furnishings and fine dining, specializing in seafood.

He grinned, watching the confused expression on her face. "What's wrong, Avery? I don't bite."

"Ian... umm... Ian, I'm not sure what to think."

"Don't think. Just say, 'Yes.'"

"Can I let you know by the end of the day?"

He shook his head no. "One thing my mother's illness has taught me is to take advantage of every moment and don't waste time with indecision. If I were a stranger I would say, 'Please take until the end of the day to decide.' But I'm not a stranger. I asked you out to dinner. Do you want to come?"