Chapter 16 The Bad Boy and His Good Day

Rena and Clarissa enjoyed their reunion. Over the next few days they became inseparable. They spent hours talking to each other. Rena took Clarissa into her world and told her all about what it was like to grow up with her father. Clarissa often wondered if they had a good relationship. They did. Clarissa had loved and respected her father. Rena told Clarissa about her days in college and her becoming a rising star in the hospitality business. Clarissa filled in the years of what life was like raising Ian. They talked a lot about Ian and Debbie's marriage. It was very hard to imagine Ian without Debbie.

"Mom, did Ian ever try to salvage his relationship with Debbie? They were so close. It's been hard for me to get used to her not being in his life."

"He did. He really tried. Debbie loved him, but they used to argue all the time. You know as well as I do, that was just Ian and Debbie. She wasn't used to life under pressure. Financial pressure is bad but when you add sickness to it, the situation becomes overwhelming. Debbie couldn't handle the impact of my illness on their marriage."

"What about their vows, Mom? They say for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health. You can't bail out when things get tough, right?"

Clarissa held Rena's hand. She had such a look of compassion in her eyes. "Don't judge her, Rena. I believe that she did the best that she could. Some people are not as strong as others. They were going through a terrible financial crisis and, unfortunately, that was the time that I needed help."

"I should have come."

"You were in no position to do that. You weren't aware of everything that had happened at that time. Now, I know you'll do anything for me. Take comfort in that."

"Thanks, Mom. Do you think Ian is going to be okay?"

"Yes, I do. He and Debbie parted on good terms. She moved to San Diego to be close to her parents. I think he'll remarry one day. He was a good husband. The divorce just made him depressed. He stopped caring about a lot of things. He'll come around. At least, I'm hoping he will."

Once they'd gotten caught up with the years gone by, they decided to spend time with each other outside the house. They went out to eat with Eldred. Clarissa took Rena to her favorite shops in the mall and bought her outfits. Rena hired a massage therapist to come over to Ian's house and give them a refreshing massage. They were healing and becoming great friends.

***

Several weeks had passed. Blake was so honorable he didn't put one bit of pressure on Rena. He would call a few days a week to check on her, but they wouldn't have a long conversation. He made the decision that he would be in full support of whatever she decided or however she wanted to do it.

During the weeks that they were apart, Clarissa and Rena continued to spend a lot of time together. Blake and Eldred were happy about that because it kept Clarissa out of the restaurant. Without Clarissa being at the restaurant, Ian began to realize that the restaurant was more than about his grandmother and Clarissa. He began to feel that he had a stake in it and that the Chicken and Waffle Inn had a real place in Savannah society.

Mrs. Madison walked up to Blake one afternoon in the restaurant and handed him a gift-wrapped box.

"What's this?"

"It's for Ian and I want it to come from you. It's a plaque for Employee of the Month."

"You're just wonderful." Blake hugged Mrs. Madison so hard that she let out a squeak. "Maybe he won't be so mad at me anymore, you think?"