Chapter 10 Smitten

He walked back into the kitchen carrying his iPad. He tapped on his Pandora app and found a station he knew she'd enjoy. Soon, the kitchen was filled with strumming guitars and the stomping beat of a fast-paced country song.

Rena turned the spaghetti sauce down to a simmer as she had already drained the pasta. The smell of garlic toast wafted from the oven. Rena gave a smile that melted his heart. She stepped away from the stove, took his hand and they began doing a Texas Two Step around the room. Her laugh was infectious.

Soon, everything became what it used to be. They were talking and laughing. It was as if nothing had changed. There was fire between them. They were having so much fun that it took a while for them to settle down, plate their dishes and eat.

Rena patted herself on the back. "Blake, I think I would have made your mother proud tonight."

He slid the chair back and gave his stomach a pat. "You would have. I'm stuffed."

"You put away quite a bit of food."

"How could I resist? It's not often that I get the opportunity to have someone cook for me." He gazed softly upon her. Then, he thought, I would love for you to cook for me every day and every night.

"Well then, you are very fortunate to own a restaurant and have your chefs cook for you every day."

Blake chuckled. "That's a possibility, but I'd rather have other options that would be quite a bit more pleasurable than engaging my staff to cook for me."

"Like what?" She took a napkin, then leaned across the table and dabbed a bit of spaghetti sauce from his cheek. He was right back to where he was before he'd doused his face with water. Their gazes locked and smoldered. She forgot to remove the napkin.

"Were you wiping something off my face?" He took her hand, slowly bringing it back to the table.

She couldn't respond. Then her cell phone interrupted the moment. When she saw who was calling, she grimaced. Blake looked across and saw that it was Ian.

"I don't want to answer this."

"I think you should," he said, for more than one reason. "It's late. I think they're wondering where you are."

She slowly glided her finger across the glass, never dropping her gaze. "Hello, Ian... I'm having dinner with a friend... I have a ride home. I rented a car this afternoon... Just leave a key under the mat so I don't wake you and Mom when I come in... What do you mean I should have called? Tell Mom that I said she hasn't worried about me all these years, so don't start now."

She clicked off the phone and shook her head. "What am I going to do with them, Blake?"

"When I saw you this afternoon you were very tense. You've finally relaxed. Do you really want to talk about this now?"

When he said those words her mind began to throb thinking about the voice of wisdom she was about to lose forever. If anyone could get her through this difficulty, it would be Blake. She and Blake may have drifted apart over the years, but he was always there when she needed him. She was also always there for him. They were a phone call away and could talk about anything.

"You know you're the only one I can talk to."

The expression on his face was sure to have given her a tiny window into his heart. He stood up abruptly. The emotions dancing between them had his senses off-kilter.

"I need to clear the table."

It took him an unusually long time to come back. He really needed to control his composure. If she'd walked back to the kitchen the way that he was feeling, there was no telling what would've happened.