26. Ignatia

The light began to fade and they were in a field of lush grass dotted with tiny wild flowers. The air was sweet and the sky was a clear blue. Cassie fell to her knees and clutched at the grass, She had no idea how much she'd missed a true living thing.

Peros stood in awe, taking in the picturesque landscape.

Janus strode away leaving them in the field without a word. Perks dropped down to sit with Cassie.

"Are we in heaven?" She asked, her eyes sparkled with tears. "Is it really over?"

"I don't know." Perks replied. His eyes couldn't adjust to the light, everything was too bright. Cassie combed her fingers through the soft grass, too scared to get her hopes up that maybe she would finally be going home.

"Cassie." A warm voice filled the air and Cassie shot to her feet. A woman was approaching, a few inches taller than her with a smile and familiar eyes. "My daughter." She approached with her arms extended until she could take hold of Cassie's hands. "You did well."

Cassie looked at the strangely familiar woman as her vision became blurry. "I- I-" Cassie stammered out before she realized she was weeping. The woman embraced Cassie and patted her head.

"It's over now. If I had known you were down there I would have sent for you sooner." She said. Her voice was so familiar.

"Were you there though the trial?" Cassie asked, she was sure that this was the voice that she'd heard encouraging her in the mist.

"I have always been with you." The woman said releasing Cassie whose tears were beginning to dry.

Cassie 's mind flashed to the question; "If you've always been with me why didn't you save me earlier" but she let the question go. She was done with strange people, and magic.

"I am the Angel Ignatia." The woman said with a broad smile, as if to convey the importance of her own identity.

Peros bowed, keeping his eyes lowered. His senses were on fire, everything was too bright. The clear air cut into his lungs, the bright sun made his skin tingle.

"Oh, you must be my Cassie's protector." Ignatia turned to Peros and rested a delicate hand on his shoulder. Peros seemed to crumble under the weight and Ignatia snatched her hand away.

"Can I go home now?" Cassie asked. "Are we in Valhalla?"

The woman laughed. "No, this is earth. If we were there I wouldn't have to conceal my form in this pitiful body" Ignatia laughed, gesturing to her tall frame. "You can go home whenever you please. This... Your protector won't last much longer here though."

Cassie ran to Peros who she'd nearly forgotten between weeping and relief to be returned to the upperworld. "He stays with me." Cassie said, positioning herself between Peros and Ignatia, her fists clenched in determination.

"Fine." Ignatia said with a haughty laugh. She flicked her wrist. "If he can survive the underworld burning out of him, he stays."

Peros doubled over and groaned, clutching his stomach in pain.

"What did you do to him? I thought you were an angel?" Cassie gasped.

Ignatia gave her a puzzled look. "I do not concern myself with the lives of underworlders, my responsibility is for humans and Valhalla, Cassie. For you." She reached out and lightly touched Cassie's chin. "You'll find the souls you devoured in the underworld are little use to you here. I've started the process of converting your protector to humanity, but it's not an easy journey. If it was easy, anyone would do it. And the underworld does not give up easily. You are lucky to have me." Ignacio spoke in a matter of fact tone. Her warmth had faded considerably.

"Can you send us home?" Cassie asked weakly.

"Yes." Ignatia smiled and kissed Cassie's forehead. Blinding light took over again and Cassie could hear a pained scream through the light.

The light faded and Cassie and Peros were at Cassie's front door. She helped Peros to the front steps and ran around the back to jump into a window. She'd left through her dream, so of course she'd left her house locked.

It had felt like she'd been gone for months. After slipping through the back window and running to the front door to let Peros in she saw her cell phone - still plugged in and flashing to notify her of multiple voice mails.

Peros groaned, he seemed too overcome with pain to speak. Cassie lead him into her room and tucked him into her bed. The bed she'd been plagued with nightmares in.

It was surreal to be home again, it was even more strange to be there with Peros. He groaned and writhing in the bed and Cassie watched over him.

"I'm sorry Peros, I did this to you. I didn't even ask if you wanted to stay here." Cassie whimpered. She reached for his hand.

Peros met her eyes and shook his head, still unable to speak. "Doesn't matter if I die here or there." Cassie responded for him, in a mockery of his own voice. Perks squeezed her hand before groaning and clutching at his stomach again.