Chapter 9

Chapter 9 –– Caught in a lie

"You're going to Italy?!" Miranda yells excited. "When? What? How?" she asks jumping up and down.

"Yeah, we're going to Italy after prom," Karlie smiles. She doesn't miss the graceful look Taylor gives her; she isn't sure if Taylor, with this trip, is going to move on. By the look in her eyes, she seems pretty deep, and Karlie somehow feels a little guilty for not feeling the same way. Taylor is a lovely girl, beautiful eyes, beautiful smile, a beautiful...body. She's just perfect in everything she does, but she doesn't understand the feeling. Is it love? Is it lust? Or is it fear? I have to figure it out soon. She's is so lost in her thoughts that she doesn't even see the boy in front of her, moving his hand in front of her hand.

"Hey? Are you here?" the black-haired asks.

"Sorry, what?" She feels a little embarrassed, but she smiles nonetheless.

"I was thinking that maybe you can go prom with me?" he asks with a dumb smile.

Karlie is so confused by the question that she just stare at the guy in front of her with raised eyebrows and jaw dropped. "Sorry but what's your name?"

"Joshua," he smiles. "But you can call me Josh,"

"Oh, okay," she nodds. "Josh," she mocks, nodding slowly her head. "So, you want to go prom with me?" she asks slightly surprised.

"Yeah," he nods.

"Um, no," she laughs. "I don't even know you, and you don't know me, so, nope."

"I know something about you," he smiles.

"For example?" she asks annoyed.

"I know that you're beautiful," he says, raising his brow. Karlie is thrown off guard, and he stares at him with a dropped jaw.

"I--"

"Think about it," he says, lifting up a piece of paper. Karlie takes it and as soon as she see a number on it, she turns around, ready to reject the offer; but she sees no one. The weird guy has walked away, and Karlie is left in the middle of hallway, smiling.

Yet, something inside of her tells her that whatever game he's playing, is wrong.

--------------------------

Taylor and Karlie were in the library, both looking for the same book that Taylor needed. "Ugh, I can't find it," Taylor groans, dropping her arms limp by her sides.

"You will. C'mon, keep your research," Karlie laughs lightly, now by Taylor's side. However, Taylor's frown never fades away, as she pouts slightly. I could kiss that frown away.

Karlie stops what she's doing, and accidentally drop the book on her left hand, turning a shade of scarlet. Taylor looked at her with wide eyes, and asks,"Are you okay? You're as white as cadaver," she laughs. Karlie swallows hardly as she looks at her best friend, oblivious of the thought that just crossed Karlie's mind.

"What? No, I'm okay. I'm-- I'm okay, I promise," she says nervously, fidgeting with her fingers.

"Oh, okay," Taylor mumbles, returning to her research. In two weeks there would be prom, and Karlie has yet to tell her about that Josh guy; after a week she told him that she would go with him, and he just winked at her. She was so nervous to tell her, because she is afraid to hurt her feelings. What if Taylor is alone? What if Taylor wanted to go with Karlie and other friends?

"Found it!" Taylor exclaims happily, smiling.

"Um, Taylor," she calls out nervously. Taylor turns around to face her, and she nods. "I have to tell you something," she adds. Taylor's smile fades away a little, and she nods again, telling her silently to say something more. "Are you going to prom?" she asks. She doesn't even know how to say it.

"Um, yeah. You're going with me, right?" she asks with a hopeful smile.

Karlie sighs, and she purses her lips. "I have a date. I'm going with someone," she replies. Taylor's smile quickly falters, and she clenches her jaw, looking anywhere but Karlie. "I'm sorry,"

"With who?" Taylor asks a little disappointed.

"Josh," she replies simply. She saw anger in Taylor's futures, but she decides on not saying anything about it.

"And who is he?" Taylor asks, pursing her lips as she meets Karlie's stare.

"He's, um..." Karlie trails off, not knowing what to say. Taylor furrow her brow, seeing that Karlie doesn't even know who the guy is. "He's a nice guy," she replies nervously.

"'He's a nice guy'? What does that even mean?" she asks slightly mad, putting her book on the table and crossing her arm. "Why are you going with a guy you don't even know?" Taylor asks, an accusatory tone on her voice.

Karlie looks away, and whispering she asks,"Are you jealous?"

Taylor's eyes widened, and opens her mouth to speak. "I-- no, I'm trying to be your friend," she reasons.

"You are trying to be my friend? Why are you being like this?! I can go to prom with whoever I want," Karlie exclaims, throwing her arms up in the air and raising slightly her voice.

"Whoever you want?! He could be anyone and you don't even know him!" Taylor exclaims. Karlie sighs, looking away with her clenched jaw. She passes a hand through her messy blonde hair, and snorts.

"Why are you jealous?! Just because you're in love with me doesn't mean I'm your property!" Karlie exclaims, but immediately regrets it; she sees Taylor's face fall, her mouth hanging open as her wise began to water. She shakes her head, and picking her book, she walks quickly towards the door. "Taylor, no, I'm sorry," Karlie says guiltily, trying to stop her friend.

"I'm sorry, I didn't want to hurt you," Karlie tries again. Taylor shakes her head as she looks at the taller girl with a look of disgust.

"You don't even know him."

(A/N: how is it going so far? Do you like it? Tell me what you think about it on the comments, and thank you for every vote! Love you.)