Chapter 16)

Tristan 

My eyes snapped forwards to be met with the sight of Rowan and Smokey. They looked intimidating from the ground where Lyric and I were currently sitting. 

I quickly stood up and brushed myself off, seeing Lyric to do the same from the corner of my eyes. However, she got up slightly too quickly and ran into my back. I would've snorted if we weren't in our current situation. 

I quickly grabbed her hand and pulled her half behind me; I tried not to focus on how she laced our fingers together, my eyes narrowing at the two before me. 

"What have you here? What have we here? Why are you even here?" Lyric spat, startling me. Rowan and Smokey looked startled as well before they composed themselves. 

"Why, this is a cemetery, dear Lyric, we could know someone here," Rowan spoke calmly, almost too calmly. I took a deep breath and exhaled through my nose, casting a look at Lyric. 

Her spare hand was pressed firmly on her stomach and the other was gripping my hand tightly. Her face was flushed, albeit, at his comment and she was struggling to find the right words to say. 

"A-And whoever you know is buried right here?" She finally managed to say, waving a hand around the area we were currently standing in. 

"Do you even know our last names?" Rowan asked, his voice dripping with anger but his facial expression remained neutral.

"That's quite enough, Rowan," Smokey (pictured above) spoke, placing a hand on Rowan's shoulder. I carefully pulled Lyric behind me even further, my chest heaving up and down. 

Rowan's face has morphed into one of nothing but pure anger but obliged, taking a step backwards. 

"Now, now, is there a reason why we aren't allowed here?" Smokey asked, his voice mimicking one of a parent. I inwardly scowled at him, not liking how he was teasing us. 

Smokey was not someone to cross with. If you were to meet him in the streets, he had this trusting aura about him but once you knew him like I did, you discovered he was the most vicious and diabolical person I had ever met. I experienced this first hand. 

I felt Lyric relax behind me, causing me to tense up. She stepped out from behind me but stayed silent per my squeeze on her hand. 

Smokey's eyes wandered over to Lyric's parents graves and anger coursed through me at the dangerous look in his eyes. 

"Are these your parents?" His voice had taken one of a kind person and although Lyric felt relaxed, I knew she was wary of him. However, I couldn't establish if she was more wary of Rowan or Smokey. 

Her body was pressed so close to my side that I felt her cautiously nod her head but not say anything. My jaw tensed at the way Rowan was looking at her and it took everything in me to not give him what he deserved. 

"I am dreadfully sorry, my dear," Smokey continued in his gentle manner. I could feel Lyric's confused stare burning holes into the side of my head but I remained quiet. There was no danger here - yet. 

"It's fine," she mumbled, her voice coming out very softly. I noticed the slight waver and knew she wasn't anywhere near fine. 

Suddenly, Rowan took a step closer and I stood up more straighter, my jaw tightening. Rowan paused before a dangerous smirk flittered against his lips. 

"I just want to speak to her," he spoke, his eyes glinting daringly. 

"No, she stays right she is," I replied firmly. My hand went to reach for my gun and I tried to hold back a frown when I felt that it wasn't there. Maybe I left it in my car or at home. I groaned inwardly at my stupidity.