A Reason to Live (Levi x Petra - Part 3)

“Goodbye…” Was all that he can say in his mind as he looked at her body discarded from the carriage.

“C—Captain!! What do you think about the Coffee I made??” What are these thoughts that appear in his mind? Why does it look depressing? What are these scenarios? He thought. Why was Petra there? It was definitely weird, but, all these scenes seems to have happened before. I was clear to him right now, that it’s all her. Her face was clear. Very clear.

Is Petra really dead?

He was about to step front, and beat up the driver because of his reckless driving. He doesn’t deserve to be in prison… he deserves to be dead. First step of his feet, he crumpled his fists. Second step, his eyebrows met and his forehead wrinkled… Though, another scene popped up in his mind before his attempt to make another step. Right now, he sees himself walking with his horse, and of course, even though he felt that he was sprained, he knew his horse was also tired. Though, as they were walking, someone called him from afar…

“Umm.. Captain Levi!!” A voice of a middle aged man called him from afar. He felt his steps close in to him. “My daughter is in your squad, and I’m Petra’s father by the way…” Petra’s father? What was he doing there? Why was he there? Why was he regarded as a captain?? All those questions are running within his psyche at one moment.

“Why… now…” Levi actually heard himself giving these small thoughts. Then, the image of Petra appeared in his mind again, wearing a calm smile as she hands him coffee. But she did not appear casual. She appeared with a few straps on her body, a white polo, thin white slacks, and knee length boots. That was really an unusual outfit for someone in this generation wore… unless, what he was seeing was a different Era. Even so, why does he visualize all this as if he’d gone through it?

“I wanted to talk to you… before she sees me…She sent me this letter… and she told me that you respected her abilities, that you let her join your squad… She also mentioned that she was going to live up to your expectations… Well, she’s too starry eyed… not being able to consider how her father feels…” He then gave out a nervous laugh. “Well… as her father… I think it’s still too early for her to marry… and she still has a lot to experience… she has a lot ahead of her…” What’s this? He thought again.

“This setting… why is it so depressing?” after that last quick thought. He slightly raised his foot, to make another but before he could make it, someone held his arm. It was a tender touch, and it was very similar.

 “Captain…” Again, he was called by that kind of rank. He was utterly confused… but that hand, and that voice, all belonged to someone he regarded of as dead as of the moment. He turned to see who it was before he’d make any step further. Surprisingly it was Petra. She looked at him with worried eyes. Good grief… he thought.

“Levi, are you alright???” She asked. “Do you know that person there???” She asked with an utterly bewildered expression. Levi simply looked down, sighed in relief. He put his palm in the half of his face, and smiled like an idiot. “Shit… shit…” He thought as he chuckled a bit.

“L—Levi?? What’s wrong?” After her question, Petra attempted to grab hold of his hand, but he got ahead of her and immediately sprinted away, and out of the crowd. As soon as they were out, he looked at Petra’s expression, and it was clear that she was confused.

“Levi, is there something wrong? Is there… something on my face??” She asked repeatedly, of course, Petra was simply surprised. Levi’s behavior was not like him. “Are you okay?? Do you know the person who died over there??”

Levi simply touched her face, and then ran his fingers to her hair. He needed to prove that she was alive. He cupped her shoulders, her arms, and descended to her hands, which he clasped tightly. “Stupid…” He stated and then hugged her tightly. “I thought that woman was you. I thought you fucking died already. You weren’t answering your phone… and I heard these fucking rumors about a girl who died as her body has been smashed by the car and the fucking wall…”