A King And His Secret

"Your mother is so proud of you." He flashed a grin only he could wear. It was filled with greatness and power. I felt small again. A longing for my father, those grins, and days he would hold me high came washing over me. It took all might not to feel sick.

    "I'm not sure she would have been. I've done some dishonorable things. I feel like I don't understand what's going on. Between Alvaria and..."

    "ALVARIA!!!! THE OLD GIRL. HOW IS SHE? STILL COLD AS ICE?" He blurted. The dinnerware shook with his excitement. He was cutting into the food that wasn't really there. I tried to touch it but it felt unreal. He was dead and everything here was of course an illusion.

    "She's fine. She explained some of it to me and I could quite understand. She told me you knew..you knew what would happen."

He looked up and sat down the goblet he had just finished drinking from.

    "Your hair is longer now. Very fitting for such a handsome young man. You take after your mother with those looks."

He was stalling.

    "Father! Be straight with me. There is too much at stake to be catching up on old times. I understand... I too long for these greetings that could last a life time. But I do not have that. There may be war soon. There may be death and I must stop it. I need you to tell me the truth!."

I found myself holding my own. I was challenging my father. I held myself and waited.

Finally he nodded. He sat back in his seat and smiled softly.

    "You're strong spirited like her as well. But yes Syferus you are a key. A key to unlock a new world no one has ever seen before. You are a Dracon King, that will rule man and beast alike. You are the answer to the kingdoms. Your mother was a very powerful dracon. She came with a power only obtained by three Dracon before her. And each time they were born in the time where the world would change. She could see the futures."

I felt myself frozen listening to every word. I was hanging from his lips.

    "She told me when we first got married that her powers started once she was pregnant. With you," He nodded at me.

    "She told me you would be the next king of kings. You would defeat the enslaver. As I believe you have," he raised an eyebrow at me and I nodded.

    "King Huburus. Your murderer." I felt my fire tremble even thinking of it.

    "Yes. I understand its a lot to take. I can understand fear, anger, hatred, all of these. They are natural. Every king has them. But something you must do to be a true king. To fullfil your destiny. Is follow this," he pointed to my chest.

    "My heart?" I asked scrunching my face slightly. I didn't expect that.

    "That and your fire. Your fire guides you. It is part of you just as your heart and mind are. Your mother saw your potential. She saw the path we had to take. She saw it all." I saw a flash of sadness run over his face. He was thinking of her.

    "But it had to be done. Just as you must take your rightful place as king."

    "Alvaria said something about bringing you back! What about that? You being king."

He looked at me with a face that told me it was not what would be happening.

    "You are the most powerful Dracon to live my son. For just as you can kill you can bring life. Your fire is your gift. Between what you choose. Death or life. You breathe it every single day," he shook his head. He reached to his head and took his crown into his hand. He placed it on the table. "But you my son are king. That is not my destiny. I will stay where I must."

I reached to him. His image seemed to be fading. There was a bright glow from the corner of my eye just like my fathers. I turned. And there, as if she had never died, was my mother.

She was gorgeous. My father stood and went to her side. They took hands and smiled genuinely. They loved each other.

    "My little flame," she smiled at me. I couldn't help it. The tears had forced themselves from my eyes. "How I have missed you."

She sashayed her way to me. I tried to stand but fell to my knees. She tool my face in her hands as I cried.

    "Mother..." I cried. She felt so warm—so real.

    "I believe in you my little flame. You are so much more than you believe. Your father and I love you so." She kissed my forehead. I turned grabbing her but she couldn't be touched. As she joined father they faced me as they smiled and it broke my heart many times over.

Just as it happened it ended. The light faded and they did with it. There I was kneeling on my parents grave.

Long live the king.