A King And His Secret

The eerie feeling of the waterfall gave me chills. The water had soaked through my clothes as I trodded through the powerful waters. I shook the water off and pulled my hair back from my eyes.

It was dark but it smelled of brimstone. I knew I could follow that. I grabbed the ledge of rock and started to climb until I reached the top. There was a smooth path leading into nothing but pitch black darkness.

I looked back at the last patches of sunlight and wished it a final goodbye.

My heart knew whatever was here, would change me. I wouldn't be exiting the same as I entered.

I fueled up my fire from within. My chest illuminated. I became my own lantern in the dark. My fire felt so strong here, stronger than I had felt it in years. The darkness pulled me in. I felt as if I levitated towards it.

The smell of brimstone was overwhelming. It was a strong smell that could have only come from one Dragon I knew. It was too fimiliar not to know what I was walking into.

There was a small light at the end of the tunnel. The strange feeling of confidence grew over me. The way my back straighten. My breath evened. My fire swelled within my chest and for once I felt powerful. Not in the way you would after you win a fight against a guard, but in a way that you would never be challenged. As I reached the light there was a small cave opening and there it was laying almost at my feet. The coffin of my father.

The fire emblem burned into the gold, it was twice the size of any man. I knew it was him.

I knelt to the coffin, my lips pursed my eyes squinted. I whisked my hands onto the gold cold. It was saddening to see.

Suddenly a light flashed and I flinched back. It was too bright. I covered my eyes and reached for a wall. There wasn't any.

    "Well. You aren't such a little flame now. You've grown."

I lowered my arm. The tears came on there own. No one invited them.

    "Father...." I croaked. He stood there dripping in golden light. He hasn't aged a day. I gathered myself and shook off the feelings that seemed to be surrounding me.

    "Hello my son." He extended his hand and it pushed myself to grab it. He felt cold. It was the opposite of what I expected. The light and glow radiating from him made him seem so alive. More than alive...

    "Father...what is going on? What have I done?" It seemed unreal this conversation. Father and son.

He flashed a wild goofy grin at me and chuckled.

    "What have you done? Exactly what fate has called for my son... Come sit and listen. There is a story to be told. But first I would like to listen to your story," he said and with a wave of his hand the old dusty cave turned into a  magnificent hall. There were golden tables and chairs and a feast set up.

I swallowed hard. I looked at my father who had taken his seat and my heart dropped.

The last time my father and I had dined together was the night he died.

Our last supper.