X

Merida woke to the bright, orange hue of the sunrise.

The night before, at around 11:30, they'd stopped the van on the outskirts of an overgrown crop field and decided to stay the night as Jack was starting to get sleepy. Merida had slept on one of the two beds in the back and Jack on the three seats positioned behind theirs.

She sat up, stretched her arms above her head and roared an almighty yawn. It wasn't the best of nights but it'd have to do, she didn't expect to get a great deal of sleep from there on out. She crawled from her cocoon of pillows, picked up the thin shape of the wand and grabbed the Witch's magic book she'd come across the night before.

The doors opened to a jungle of dying grass and former corn plants that lay strewn across the abandoned land as she stepped onto its crunching surface. She looked up at the sun before flicking through the book's pages. 6 am. Jack would be up soon so she had enough time to get in a bit of practice with her newly obtained objects.

***

Jack woke with a start. A cold sweat dripped down his neck, creeping down his spine. He shivered. A nightmare. The horrid dream of being tailed by the police, hunted by werewolves and hissed at by vampires. Those were the scariest; werewolves and vampires. They were much stronger than any other Supernatural and much easier to anger. If he could help it, he'd stay as far away from one as he could.

A soft yawn escaped his lips as he checked his phone. 6:45. He peered through the gap in the seats to find Merida gone and the back doors wide open. A cool breeze swept over him. He clambered to the back of the van and stumbled tiredly through the open doors. The familiar red head sat cross-legged with her back facing him. He made his way towards her.

She gripped the slender body of her wand as she raised it into the air. 'Evocatio spiritus conpanian'. She half-heartedly uttered the words for the 20th time that morning. She closed her eyes and sighed.

She felt a tap on her shoulder and turned to see the white haired boy. He nodded to the tip of her wand. She diverted her eyes to see a light blue, silk-like stream flow from it, swirling together, slowly forming a shape. An eagle.

"I did it." She breathed in amazement. "I did it!" She leapt up in excitement and danced around happily. The eagle shape shrieked, matching her mood as it flew above their heads.

Jack chuckled. "Come on." He motioned to the midnight van waiting patiently just a few meters behind them. "We'd better set off if we want to get anywhere near Germany sometime this month. Besides..." He paused, his usual smirk returning to his lips as he threw her a bunch of keys. "... You're driving."

Merida grinned and shook her head before hauling herself from the ground and rushing after an eager Frost.

A/n I tried. I knew I hadn't updated in a while so I tried to update something. Hope you liked it anyway. I'm going to try to get back into the swing of writing so you may be seeing more stuff from me shortly and I'm going to try to get back to updating every Friday, that went to the dogs real quick xD.

Btw 'Evocatio spiritus conpanian' means Summoning of the spirit companion in Latin.

Bye bye!

~cmstevens13