III

Merida's eyes kept peering over the top of her phone at the hardback book placed on her desk. Its blood-red cover shouted 'danger' but the innocent gold lettering tempted her like cheese to a mouse.

"Ugh!" she groaned in annoyance. Her curiosity got the better of her and soon she was sat on the edge of her bed examining its cover, bind and blurb.

Are you a Supernatural?

Written by: Dr E.Bishop

She'd read those few words over and over in her mind before coming to a valid conclusion; nothing was going to come of sitting and watching it, hoping it told her whether it was safe to read it or not. No. She had to determine that for herself.

Her fingers pulled back the cover as if she were handling a century-old artefact. The pages were yellowing slightly, not because of age, but because of what looked like a discoloured tea stain running through its pages. She heaved a heavy sigh and turned to the first page.

Chapter 1- Zombies

Zombies are mobile but walk in jagged movements. They are non-commutative and unemotional; they will show no mercy against their victims. Zombies are in a decaying state with discoloured eyes and rotting flesh. They're technically dead with no pulse, body heat or other signs of living.

Symptoms:
•You find you're starting to talk less or find speaking more difficult than usual.
•You start to feel no emotion.
•Discoloured blotches appear across your skin.
•Your eyes look dead.
•You lose your appetite.
•Slowing of heart rate.
•When getting in a fight you take longer to hold yourself back and control your anger.

Merida shook her head. I'm not like that, surely? She banished the idea of her being a zombie but kept it in the back of her mind for safe-keeping.

Her thoughts were cut short by the slamming of the front door that only meant one thing; her father was home. She gulped, unsure of whether he'd be in a good mood or not, and dreaded finding out. She carefully closed the cover and hid it under a pile of papers in one of her desk drawers before making her way downstairs.

Sure enough, the big, bulky figure of her dad stood in the doorway. "Hey Daddy!" she greeted, slinging her arms around his neck.

"Hey Mer bear!" He nuzzled his face in her hair and squeezed her shoulders.

"How was your day?" she pulled away and asked.

"It was okay, uneventful," he grinned and headed to the kitchen.

Merida heaved a sigh of relief. He'd brought home a happy ray of sunshine instead of the usual lightning strike. She dashed upstairs.

As she entered her room she heard the ringing of her phone. She picked it up and lay on her belly "Hello?"

A worried voice replies."Hi it's me, MK."

"Oh hey what's up?"

"Meet me at the library in 5, bring the book."

And with that the line was cut off. Merida grabbed a small rucksack and slipped the book inside along with a few other necessities before rushing out the house and sprinting down the street.

If MK needed her to bring the book then it had to be important.

A/n So sorry for the super long wait. I've had exams and stuff so it hasn't been easy fitting in the time to write but here it is and hope you enjoyed it. I will try to get back into the habit of updating every Friday.

Thanks for waiting

~cmstevens13