Chapter 28 - Open and Honest Enemies

Start from the beginning

"No," Galen laughed, "I want her to see this." In a flash he pulled his gun and fired, hitting Jax in the chest and sending him down into the dirt.

Amelia screamed, squeezing Alice tight, and held her head to keep the child from seeing her father sprawled out on the ground. Knowing full well what this would start and that Opie didn't return fire because she and Alice were there, Amelia moved swiftly with a sobbing Alice in her arms to the far end of the porch. Her leg, still weak, ached as she quickly hopped over the railing and scurried along the side of the cabin in tears. As she reached the end of the house, about to take cover behind the building, she was three ATF agents, in full riot gear, aiming rifles at her.

"Don't," she whimpered, hearing shots from the front of the cabin.

"Come with us." One agent said harshly as he grabbed her arm and pushed her against the back of the cabin. "Do not move," he ordered before disappearing.

"Mommy," Alice cried, "I'm scared."

"You're okay," Amelia said calmly, hiding her own horror for Alice's sake. "Everything's okay"

She kept trying to comfort Alice while listening carefully to what she could hear of the confrontation. There was shouting from Opie and Galen but nothing from Jax and that made her heart sink into her stomach. Suddenly, there was silence; no guns and no voices, and Amelia choked back a sob.

"Please, God," she whispered a tiny prayer, "Let them be okay."

--

Unable to stay in the house after Otto's visit, Mae swung by the clubhouse before heading to the club in an attempt to get to work. She stepped inside to find a few of the guys wearing stern expressions on their faces and working diligently but no one greeted her side from Juice.

"I was just heading to your place," he said quickly. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah," she sighed. "I was going to the club and I knew Opie called you guys so I didn't want to miss someone."

"I'll go with you," Juice smiled warmly.

"How's everything? Okay?" She gestured to the others.

Juice shrugged, "Slow. No one knows shit and uhh, yeah, we just can't find much of a trail."

Mae stopped and looked at him. "What? You were gonna say something else."

"No I wasn't," he said quickly.

"You're all bad liars," she snapped. "What happened?"

"We can't get in touch with Jax or Opie," he kept the calls unanswered calls to Amelia to himself for now. "But that don't mean something went bad. It just sucks not having all the intel."

Her chin quivered, "I don't want to go to the new club now. I just want to go back home."

"Sure, whatever you wanna do."

"Trinity okay?" Mae asked as they headed outside again.

"Yeah, I uhh, sent her to Indian Hills to keep her out of danger and keep me focused on SAMCRO and SAMNAV."

Without giving her suspicions away, Mae pondered why he would really do that knowing that any Son would want their girls with them to be sure they were safe. "Oh, okay. Yeah."

--

As Amelia stood against the cabin, her eyes screwed shut and hiding Alice's face still as shots fired again on the other side of the cabin. "Here, Ally," she whispered as she pulled open the Bilco doors into the basement. "Stay right here, okay? It's safer."