Chapter 23 - Making Changes

"I've been an idiot to think that real life could have a happy ending." - Jodi Picoult

When Mae and Opie stepped back into their Las Vegas home she was taken aback by how dusty and bare it all seemed. She looked back at him in confusion.

"This isn't how I remember it, Ope."

He nodded and ushered her toward the steps. "We've been gone a lot and with me Nomad you downsized."

"Oh," she shrugged. "Makes sense, I guess." The way she accepted his answer, despite how weak it was, made his heart ache. Opie was so desperate to hold onto Mae he had lied about so much, so many heartbreaks and

"Why don't you go get a shower and relax? I gotta head over and talk to Jax."

"Okay," she sighed. Unable to shake the strange sense that something was wrong, Mae welcomed time alone go think and relax in her own home.

Opie hesitated, but soon headed over to Jax's and was completely bowled over by the tension in the house.

"Jesus," he grumbled as he sat beside his sister on the couch. "What happened?"

She looked at him and rolled her eyes. "He wants to go back to Charming and I don't want to talk about it."

He drew his head back at her sharp tone but nodded. "Alright."

"How's Mae? She's home right?" Amelia started the process of getting to her feet despite the cast but Opie pressed her back against the couch. "What is it?"

"She's home but her memory ain't great," he said anxiously. "She doesn't remember shit about Clay or-"

"Or you two?" Amelia's eyes narrowed.

"Not everything," he admitted embarrassedly. "I'm working on it, I wanna explain shit slowly once she comfortable. She's upset."

"I would be too if months of my memory were just gone," she scoffed. "Opie I swear to god, if you don't tell her, I will and I'll laugh when she kicks your ass."

"I'm going to," he said sharply. "She doesn't remember Clay and the threats or Gemma, that shit she doesn't need to remember so just watch what you say around her."

That was different, Amelia agreed but she wasn't entirely sure it was good to keep it from Mae. "It's the life, Ope. You can't give her head trauma whenever something upsets her."

"It ain't like that," he sneered, "And you know it."

"Okay," she shrugged. "Guess you're trying to transfer back?"

"I am," he nodded.

"Even if Jax goes back?"

Opie nodded. "I don't want shit to do with Charming or the people in it."

"You and me both," she dropped her head on his shoulder. "I'm pregnant," she said with excitement.

His raspy chuckle shook them both as he kissed her head. "That's great, Meels. That's a necessary bright spot."

"Yeah, it is," she sighed. "What do I do, Ope?"

"I don't know," he shrugged. "If you decide not to leave me and Mae will be here, you won't be alone."

"But Jax will be in Charming; my husband and the father of my kids will be so far away."

Opie didn't know what to say. He sighed heavily, just like Piney used to, and unknowingly brought Amelia a sense of peace.

"It's hard," she whispered, "To be a good wife and old lady without just laying down and letting him control our lives." The sound of his feet on the steps announced his approach.

"I'm sorry, Meels," he said quietly. "I don't know what to tell you."

She sat up again, no longer leaning on him, and tried to hide how distraught she felt. "I'm good, I'll figure something out."

"Hey Ope," he said coolly. "You and Mae back?"

"We are," he stood and shot his sister an apologetic look. "Her memory is shit though so I came by to just keep from stirring shit up. I'm trying to take it easy, she's upset enough."

Jax smiled knowingly and nodded at Opie. Obviously Opie wanted to keep his indiscretions as far from her as possible until he won some good will and Jax didn't blame him.

"Yeah, all good, I got you."

"Congratulations," he said as they shook hands. "Meels told me."

"Yeah, thanks."

"We should talk," Opie gestured to the dining room. "Club shit."

"Maybe I'll visit Mae," Amelia struggled to stand.

"She's in the shower," Opie said quickly.

Suspicious, she pursed her lips and nodded. "Tomorrow then, I'm tired anyway."

The guys watched as she disappeared up the steps, moving faster than either expected despite her injury. They sighed as the bedroom door closed and Opie chuckled. "Jesus, she's pissed."

"Tell me something I don't know," Jax grumbled. "What's up?" There was still tension between them but it paled in comparison to the martial strife.

"I want to come back," he said simply.

Jax looked at him for a long moment. "Now that shits settled?"

"Shit is far from settled," Opie said defensively. "Clay isn't back yet, Mae doesn't remember shit, Redwood doesn't have a real president and you want to head back but Meels is gonna fight that shit to the death. That ain't settled."

"Maybe you're right," he shrugged. "Chibs took on your role knowing it was temporary but I don't know, Ope. I feel some kind of way about you coming back."

He nodded and hid his embarrassment and sorrow. "I get that."

"But you always been loyal, even when you had reasons not to be, and I can't forget that."

"What are trying to say?"

"I think you can help me talk Meels into coming back?"

"No," he shook his head. "That ain't my shit, brother and I'm not gonna push my sister somewhere she doesn't wanna be so I can get my VP flash back."

Jax smiled and gave Opie an smile and nodded. "That was what I was hoping you'd say. Secret deals and shit got us where we are."

"Yeah," he nodded.

"I don't think Chibs will stay anyway," Jax laughed. "I had a few moves in my head."

Opie's eyebrow arched high into his hairline. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah," he was serious despite Opie's uncertainty. "I think me and Chibs should head up SAMCRO and I want Bobby down here as your VP."

Drawing his head back, Opie looked at Jax in shock. "You want me as SAMNAV Prez?"

"I do," he nodded confidently. "Besides, no one else down here is gonna take it. Juice? Hap? Shit, Hap doesn't deal, he doesn't negotiate and Juice, I don't even have to explain that."

"Yeah, no, I get it," Opie saw it as more realistic now. "I mean, I guess, if it passes."

"Let me see if Bobby and Chibs are even on board, this is all just guesses right now."

"Alright, yeah," Opie nodded.

"Me and Meels got into a few days ago, when I first told her about SAMCRO, and when I got back that night Juice was here."

Opie looked at him expectantly. "Yeah, he's always been her little puppy dog confidant," he shrugged. "So?"

"I don't know, I don't like it," he said darkly.

"Tell him to back off," Opie said firmly. "Don't say shit to Meels, she's already pissed and you'll just give her ammo," he chuckled. "She'll do it out of spite."

"Yeah, no shit," he groaned. "I'll talk to him."

Opie offered Jax his hand to shake but Jax hugged him instead. "We good?"

"Yeah," Jax nodded. "We're good."