Chapter 54 - Love and Marriage

"The most important thing in communication is hearing what isn't said." - Peter Drucker

--

"I'm back and shit is gonna stay level," Opie said authoritatively as he sat at the head of the table. "Stahl, the Irish, rats and fuckin' traitors; it's all squashed."

It was their first church in Vegas since, well, everything had finally settled. He returned from Charming after a week with Mae, celebrating their wedding, ready to truly dive into his role and do what he could he guide SAMNAV into prosperity.

"We're throwing you a bachelor party," Happy growled from his spot beside Opie.

Opie laughed, his shoulders practically dancing as he chuckled, "More for you guys than me."

"Shit yeah," Kip laughed. "We gotta break in the new club anyway."

"You threw him a party at the strip club where his wife works?" Bobby asked, a look of surprise on his face. "You're all idiots," he shook his head with a hearty laugh.

"Maybe the new Mrs will join in," Greg the Peg added from the back of the room. "She's hot, I wouldn't mind getting a good view of that."

"No," Opie was suddenly dark, his eyes cloudy as he looked across the table. "I guess bein' NOMAD screwed with your head. You forget we don't talk about our old ladies like that?"

Greg shifted his weight in his seat before shaking his head. "Nah, it was just a joke, sorry Prez."

"He's not invited," Happy said matter-of-factly.

Bobby smirked and nodded, "You can hold it down here tonight."

"Ah come on man," Greg whinnied. "That shit ain't right."

Opie laughed and brought the gavel down hard, dismissing the group, and when he followed moments later he found Mae lingering by the long line of windows on the side of the main room of the clubhouse.

"Hey," he greeted her warmly. "What's up?"

"Hi," she said somewhat timidly. "I just wanted to see you before heading to the club."

Opie smiled at that and kissed her forehead. "You're in for a busy night," he gestured to the guys.

"Why?" She grimaced jokingly.

"They're throwing me a late bachelor party," he laughed. "I wasn't going to go but since you're gonna be there maybe I can get my own show."

"In my office, maybe," she laughed. "Anything for a party with you guys."

"Sounds about right," he tucked her under his arm as they walked out to the parking lot. "We good?"

Mae's head snapped toward him. "I was going to ask you the same thing, actually. You've been," she tried to find the best adjective, "Preoccupied."

"I am," he admitted, squinting in the sun. "Trying to keep shit on lock here, since I took the gavel it's been a goddamn nightmare."

Mae nodded, "It has."

"You good?" He tilted her head up to meet his eyes. "Ever since Skylar shit feels weird."

"It is weird," she shrugged. "He tricked me twice. I thought he was okay then I thought it got better and," she trailed off. "Just mad at myself, really."

"What do you mean he tricked you?" Opie prodded. "In the letters?"

Mae hesitated but eventually nodded. "Yeah."