Chapter 8 : On the run

Chapter 8

Riker POV 

Zoey wouldn't let me take any more breaks. I was out of breath, but I had to keep running anyway. It felt like my lungs were on fire, and my throat was stinging so badly. But I kept going.

I'd sort of accidentally fallen into a stream. My clothes were soaked and muddy. I was sweating and the air was freezing. It made me feel so sick.

"Ok, you want to take a break?"

I stopped immediately.

"Yes..." I said, completely out of breath.

I fell down to my knees, panting.

"How... much... further?" I asked, trying to catch my breath.

"I don't know. We really need to come to a road, and then hopefully a gas station or something."

"My legs are numb... My throat hurts... My lungs hurt..."

"We have to keep going, Riker. We have to fight. My brothers are trying to find us. I'm sure of it."

"What if they catch us?"

"We die."

"Even you?"

"Probably. I mean, now I'm like... a traitor or whatever."

I stood up, and ran my fingers through my greasy hair.

"We have to get to safety," I said, staring at her eyes.

"Ready to keep going?"

"Yes. But do we have to run? Like how about just quick walking?"

"Sure. We've been running for hours. We can walk a little bit."

I took her hand in mine tightly, and we walked forwards. And after a while, we heard some sticks breaking. Like something or someone following us. I stopped, and turned around. But I could barely see.

"Riker-"

"Shhh."

Another stick snapped. I started trembling inside. I literally hate this. I hate the dark. I hate the woods. I hate that I'm being hunted down like a wild animal.

There was a bigger snap, and I saw a deer. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Ok, let's keep going," I whispered, pulling Zoey along again.

Later...

Riker POV

We finally came to a road. It was pitch black though, so I could only see a tiny bit. I'd keep accidentally walking off the side of the road. And every time a car would go by, Zoey and I would jump behind some trees in the woods. If it was her brothers, we'd be dead for sure.

After asking Zoey so many times if we were there yet, we finally came to what looked like a town or something. There were lights and buildings, and most importantly, safety.

I still had Zoey's hand in mine. We walked into a gas station. And I saw her brothers at the counter. I quickly pulled Zoey down one of the aisles, and ducked down.

"Did you see them!?" I whispered.

"Yeah! What do we do!?" She whispered back.

I peeked up above the shelf. They were talking to the guy behind the counter.

I looked around.

"The bathrooms. We can hide," I whispered.

"Good idea."

I pulled Zoey into the bathroom with me, and locked the door. I slid down to the floor.

"Riker, you do realize you're sitting on a gas station bathroom floor, right?"

"I don't care. I'm too tired and stressed out. I'm literally shaking inside."

Zoey went over to the mirror, and started fixing her hair a little, but she honestly looked fine. I stood up, and walked up beside her. I looked like a train wreck. I had greasy, dirty hair. Wet, muddy clothes. There was dirt all over my skin and face. And there were small cuts all over me because of the branches I kept running into.

After a couple minutes, I opened the bathroom door a crack, and her brothers were gone.

"Zoey, let's go see if that guy will let us use his phone."

"Ok."

We walked up to the cashier guy.

"Hey. Could we use your phone? It's kind of an emergency," I said, looking at him.

"Sure."

He handed me his phone. I called 911.

"911, what is your emergency."

"Hi, um... I'm Riker Lynch. I was kidnapped, and I escaped but now my kidnappers are trying to hunt me down and kill me and my girlfriend."

"What is your location?"

"What is my location?" I asked the cashier guy.

He took his phone back, and told the person where we were. And then he gave his phone back to me again.

"Sir, we are sending police there right now."

"Ok, thanks."

I hung up, and handed the guy's phone back.

"You got kidnapped?" The cashier asked.

"Yeah, um... Those guys you were talking to like 5 minutes ago... They're my kidnappers."

"Oh wow."

We saw lights outside. A bunch of police officers ran inside. They took me and Zoey in their cars, and drove us to the police station. Here comes a fun night of questions...

Later...

Riker POV

We were done with questions, and we were given a ride to my house. Zoey didn't want to come to my house because she felt like she was going to bother me or something. But I convinced her to come. I just want to be with her.

We finally got to my house, and the first thing I heard was crying. Mom's crying.

I ran inside with Zoey.

"Mom! What's wrong!?"

"Riker!"

"Wait! You might want to save that hug for when I smell a little better."

"Riker, they got your brother."

"What?"

"Those boys that kidnapped you. They kidnapped Ross."

"What!?"

She nodded. I sighed. I thought everything was ok. Obviously not.

"Ok, well what happened?"

"They broke in, and they had guns. They got your brother and left. The police were here 10 minutes ago, questioning us."

I sighed again.

"Ok. I really need to go take a shower. And then I'll come back down and talk about this, ok? Oh, and this is Zoey. She's my girlfriend."

Zoey gave a slight wave.

"Ok, I'll be back down in maybe 20 or 30 minutes," I said, running up the stairs.

I grabbed some clothes, and went straight to the bathroom. I turned on the water, stripped down to nothing, and got in. The hot water felt so good on my skin.

A nice hot shower was literally the highlight of my night.