Chapter 86 - Spiralling Down

I ended up locking myself back into the room I didn't want to be in but that was a lot better than being anywhere else in that cabin right now.

I stopped eating since every single thing that touched my stomach came straight back up. It wasn't that I wasn't hungry, my stomach was growly non stop, but I just refused to get food. Citty had continued to bring me food, but I had left the key in the door so there was no way for her to even get into the room. She'd tired talking me into opening up, letting her in, or even just talking to her, but nothing seemed to even stick with me.

My body didn't even move. I lay in the bed, facing the wall and the only thing that I did manage to do was to occasionally look up to the window where the bat continued to sit. It barely kept me from completely freaking out and I was glad it did. I knew that should I have a breakdown none of the people outside would hesitate to break the wall down. There was no way I would let that happen. I wanted to be here and on my own. I couldn't be with Matthew, so everyone else just seemed to make me even worse.

My fingers were sweating, all my muscles sore and tingly from staying in the same position for so long. The shoulder I was lying on has long since gone numb and the my neck felt too stiff to ever move again. But still, I couldn't bring myself to do anything about it.

It got darker quickly and at that point I wasn't sure whether I'd spent one or two days simply lying in this bed with the desperate wish to have Matthew's arms around me.

That's when there was another knock on the door. I tensed up as the one knock turned into a series of knocks, each of which I could predict exactly when they would come. I knew the pattern and it made my sweaty hands shake.

When it didn't stop and kept coming, I finally moved my body. My hands clamped over my ears, my body curling into as tight a ball as I could manage. I wanted to scream, but desperately tried to hold it in. My mouth opened in that silent scream, while my eyes were shut so tightly, tears were streaming down my face.

A whimper escaped me and I started biting my tongue to prevent any more noises leaving my mouth.

Right now, I wasn't even sure whether I did it to convince the one outside that I wasn't in here or to not have Citty and the others get me.

When my hands over my ears stopped muffling the sounds, I started ripping at my hair. My strands fell around my face and I counted them, hoping to distract myself.

1

2

3

4

But there were too many. They were everywhere, my eyes couldn't follow them and in my desperate attempt to do so, the knocking continuously making me more nervous, I had to close my eyes and breathe, just to be able to breathe in the first place.

The darkness only made it worse. And then the scratching came.

It was a slow, maddening rhythm, not matching at all with the knocking and it made my head spin. I didn't know where to go with my hands, I went from hugging my knees to my chest, to hugging my stomach to squeezing my own neck and scratching my legs.

It seemed endless. It didn't stop. The knocking. The scratching.

It made me remember his laughter. This manic hiccup sound that left his mouth, a chuckle that would never leave me. Accompanied by his sick smile, my brain conjured up all the images I had fought so hard to keep at bay.

When I opened my eyes to escape the darkness, the grin was there even clearer. His face was right in front of me and it was all I could do not to let the scream out that was lodged into my throat. So I threw myself away from the image, off the bed and onto the floor. I didn't look back to see whether it had followed me, assuming the worst anyway.