Chapter 64 - Déjà-Vu (Matthew's POV)

It had long since become a habit to disappear into my own mind during the most bizarre situations.

I would drift off while cooking, burning myself more often than I liked to admit.

I would drift off when jogging, ending up running three times as long as originally planned.

And I would drift off in situations like these, when I went into my preferred club in the city, getting ground on by people I neither knew nor cared about.

My thoughts always went to the same place, to a home I had once known and a person I still had too many regrets about.

There was by no means anything special about this club, apart from the safety the manager constantly imposed. While that changed only little for me, somehow, knowing that someone with a good head on their shoulders and an equally as good heart in their chest was looking over this place made it more appealing to frequent.

Funnily enough, there was nothing here for me. I wasn't looking for a body to touch, friends to make or to get drunk. The latter I couldn't do even if I'd wanted to.

Why I was here was possibly more the fact that it reminded me of a certain night more than a year ago and it let me sometimes imagine him being here.

I hadn't been away from home that long. It had maybe been a month, maybe a bit more, I wasn't really sure. Going away had been the right thing to do, I was convinced of that, yet why did I still feel constant regret when it came to that exact decision?

I hadn't really figured it out and that was only the case because I didn't want to admit what was really happening.

I shook my head, trying to muster up enough energy to get up from my seat at the bar and onto the actual dance floor before the guy that had glued himself onto me started to rip my clothes off right here.

As it stood, there was one thing this place could give me. I loved to dance and it gave me a way to either forget or release stress. I even forgot that this little guy was still with me, probably thinking that I was paying attention to him now.

I had never been as condescending as I was now, but it was too much to care about people at the moment. Instead I just let my body move to the music.

It took a while to register when suddenly a very familiar scent assaulted me. I didn't let it bother me. It wasn't the first time this had happened. Every so often I would see or smell him, or even hear his voice somewhere. In the beginning I had run after that illusion for hours, trying to find him until eventually I had realised that it was just my mind playing tricks. By now, I simply enjoyed it while it lasted, letting it lead my thoughts to memories I had of him.

I closed my eyes and let his scent wash over me. It became stronger the more I concentrated on it, right until it felt as if he was standing in front of me.

I felt something squishing in between me and the tiny human boy, but before I could check who it was hands grasped my hair and pulled my head down until my lips were met with his.

It took me less than two seconds to realise that these lips were familiar and my arms were on his hips in an instant, pulling him closer to me.

This felt like a déjà-vu. And it felt like everything I had been missing was suddenly here.

His lips were hard on mine and I wished he would open up for me but I refused to even ask. He also seemed very unsteady, from which I concluded that he might have had too much to drink already.

That was all it took for me to take a step back. Humans were unreliable when they were drunk.

He whined once we lost our contact, then opened his eyes and looked at me.