Chapter 10: Secrets

The memory of that moment with Ellaria earlier continued to haunt me. Hands were clasped together while I gazed into the open sea before me. It came to my mind how fortunate the waves were. They need not suffer and swayed with such peace. If only I were free to fulfill my heart's content then all would be well.

I would not serve as a Lion's bait to eliminate those who have dared challenge or question their reign. Yet of course I know the consequences which my actions may bring. Deeply, I thought before closing my eyes and allowing the cold southern breeze to brush against my pale exotic skin.

"Is it not beautiful?" A masculine voice whispered in my ear, causing my once peaceful thinking to come to an end. Gently, I turned on my heel to face who spoke and to reprimand them for having interrupted my thoughts. Yet upon catching sight of the Red Viper's handsome features, my face fell into a gentle expression.

"It is a sight to behold. These kind of sights are rare in Essos. The climate is rather a lot warmer there, your grace." I offered him a soft smile and felt him shift closer upon feeling the warmth of his body brush against my own back.

"You worry, lady Talisa. I can see it in your face. A sullen expression does not suit such a beautiful woman." His words swayed me with such ease, the crimson color returning to my cheeks.

"If only one was free to choose, then all would be well." In my mind, I knew I should not have uttered such words yet Oberyn took the hint and pressed my buttons no further.

"One can choose freely. They can simply choose to fall in love or let their heart be burdened with worry." The Prince then gently took my hand before bringing it to his lips. He placed a soft kiss on the skin before withdrawing.

I could not help but admire Oberyn Martell. He was far from how the bards had described him. His heart was pure and he was wiser than anyone have ever known. Most of all, I admired how he respected me despite our betrothal.

With such overwhelming emotions weighing within my little heart, I rushed after him. I ran and ran along the narrow hallways of the keep before managing to find him. He was seated on the divan, thinking to himself while his head was buried in his hands. But the sounds of my footsteps seemed to have interrupted him as his gaze rose to meet mine.

"Apologies, your grace. I only wished to speak with you." I spoke with such tenderness as I approached him and he beckoned for me to sit beside him.

"What do you wish to tell me, my lady? Is there something that troubles you, is it the betrothal?" A worried expression had been placed across his handsome Dornish features yet in response I could not contain myself and burst out into fits of laughter in a manner which some may consider unladylike.

Yet instead of the annoyed expression or scowl I expected to see on the Viper's face for my sudden outburst, he only gazed upon me with such amusement.

"You mock me, my lady. I am utterly offended." He spoke in a joking manner, causing the both of us to grin.

"I laugh not to offend you, your grace but I find it rather humorous on how much concerned you were. It brings my heart so much joy to know that the man I admire so, sees me not as a child or a piece of meat but rather a woman he is obliged to care for." My words seemed to have brought so much joy to the elder Prince as his eyes lit up and gently he took my hand.

"I do not feel obliged to care for you because I only follow what my heart desires and wishes. I have never seen a woman so charismatic and intelligent as you are. The seven has given me the greatest gift of all by allowing me to wed such a woman as perfect as you are."

These words caused my heart to flutter and without a doubt, the only thing I desired at the moment was to taste his lips and feel them against my own.

"Can you keep a secret, Talisa?" At first, I furrowed my brows at his words before feeling his lips brush against my mine. At first, my eyes grew wide with such shock yet soon I felt myself draw nearer towards Oberyn. My heart melted with such emotion before I closed my eyes as I relaxed against the kiss. His lips were surprisingly soft and tasted of grapes.

My instincts told me to wrap my arms around his neck and so they did. At that time, I knew that all would be well. The thoughts of Ellaria or even my political obligations had been diminished by such overwhelming emotions. All that mattered was that I was with Oberyn and he had chosen me.