Chapter 8: Escort

Morrow came and I adjusted the sleeve of my dress while I stood before the mirror. Something tells me that today was going to be different. Perhaps it's just my nature of being an instinctive woman or maybe just my Redwyne side of the family.

Chortling lightly to myself, my fingers brushed against the smooth silvery colored fabric that hugged my petite figure as I envisioned various ways on how this day would turn out.

The Lannisters were being unusually welcoming as they hosted the betrothal between Volantis and Sunspear, perhaps hoping that they would possibly gain something from this alliance with their obvious false smiles and kind words.

But I knew better than to trust a Lannister, yet unfortunately my father would be arriving from Myr in hope that he would gain ambition in Westerosi soil and he was beyond naive and blind when it came to the Lannisters. All he ever cared about was satisfying himself and for that I wouldn't be surprised if he was to end up dead with his own stupidity.

Thoughts raced my mind, yet I knew that I should act swiftly as well as prevent from jeopardizing my family's position with the Dornish alliance. Cersei's spies were everywhere and in this feast I know that their prying eyes would be on me throughout the event.

Perhaps I should consider asking help from Oberyn? Yet it would be too risky since I am still doubting on whether I should trust him or not.

My thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door, and without further say the Prince Oberyn had entered my room. Crystalline hues widened, gaze drifting towards Oberyn in surprise and immediately smiling before lowering into a gracious curtsy.

"Your grace, what are you doing here?" With this he furrowed his brows, probably pained as he furrowed his brows yet as he parted his lips I spoke up even before he could do it.

"Forgive me, my prince. I meant to offence. I was merely curious as to why you have come here in my chambers and unescorted at that." It was my turn to furrow my brows.

"I just thought that perhaps you would be more comfortable if I escorted you to the feast. It is our engagement party after all. I didn't want my bride to be dragged along to the feast my lions which we all know are untrustworthy." I beckoned for him to sit down before taking hold of his hand, seeing the worried expression plastered on his face.

"That is truly chivalric of you, your grace. But I can assure you that I could have handled it myself if they tried anything funny, but of course your efforts are most appreciated and forever shall I carry the gratitude in my heart." Gripping his hand tightly, I allowed my light oceanic orbs to lock with his darker and hazel hues.

"Ah yes! I have heard of your skills of wielding the sword and your hobby of archery. Perhaps sometime you may consider to demonstrate these skills. It is never my heart's intentions to pain or offend you, my lady but the only one I've see to harness such skills are my daughters and it would be a pleasure to witness another woman in the glory of combat." With this I nodded curtly and offered him the warmest of my smiles.

"None offence taken your grace, that I can assure you and perhaps we shall now head to the feast. I fear that my mother would grow weary with my absence."

Just like the gentleman he was, Oberyn rose from his seat and offered me his arm which I gladly took before I strode to the feast alongside the great prince of Dorne. A smile tugged at the corner of my pink petals, but I fear that soon they would disappear if the feast would not go as well as I expect it.

But with Oberyn by my side to guide me along the way, maybe just maybe this will not be so difficult after all.