Chapter 7: The Red Viper

Upon our arrival in the gardens, Lola and I had parted as she went to sit beside my mother while I was set to sit beside him, my betrothed. Oberyn Martell. Goosebumps had began to crawl onto my pale Volantene skin as the young prince stood and pulled out a chair so that I may sit.

With a quivering lower lip and hands that were entwined while trembling, I settled myself down beside the red viper yet at the first few moments there was nothing but silence. None had even bothered to utter a word. Glancing over at my mother, I saw that her gaze had never left me. 'Get on with it!' She had mouthed rather harshly.

I began to feel beads of sweat trickle down my forehead as mother had still not looked away. Those crystalline hues boring wholes into my very flesh and soul. With this, I swallowed thickly before gazing over at the Prince Oberyn who had refused to speak still as he avoided me by awkwardly taking a sip from his chalice filled with Dornish wine. And so I decided to make my move. 'Do this for your father's honor or you'll get yourself killed.' I thought before petals pink lips parted so that I may speak.

"I find the climate rather unusual, do you think not your grace?" I began nervously, gaze now upon Oberyn who had only nodded in response.

Damn it! What was it with men and their strange ways? One day they're all passionate but now they're simply being unreadable. A sigh had left my lips and upon seeing the state of agony I was in, Oberyn had now decided to acknowledge me.

"You are looking rather pale, my lady. Are you unwell?" He questioned, my gaze now locking with his own as I lifted my chin.

"I am very much well, sire. I do think that it is your presence that has indeed swayed away the uneasiness that was formerly present." I gave a soft yet nervous chuckle before allowing a soft smile to curve across my lips.

The prince's hearty chuckle boomed throughout the gardens, perhaps it would even be heard from miles afar.

"You flatter me, Talisa. Your charm could kill a fly. You must have used it very well back in Essos. I am most certain that you have many suitors, yes?" Arching a brow, his every word was entwined with calmness as he breathed them out. Yet even with his soft nature, it was the question that had caught me off guard.

Was I to tell him about various of my lovers? And with this I glanced over at my mother who only swallowed thickly in response, chewing her lower lip as she too was unable to save me from this miserable state. Finally, I lifted my gaze as a soft voice spoke up. Greer, my younger sister.

"Oh my sister has had many suitors, yet she quickly disposes of them." Furrowing his brows even more, Oberyn looked at me utterly confused. I offered him a sweet smile, finally having the right words.

"I have taken many suitors yet none have compared to your might and charm, my prince." Upon my confirmation, Oberyn beamed down at me before merrily chuckling.

"You are quite a charmer, my lady." He stood up from his seat and offered me his arm which was covered with the long sleeve of his robe.

"Walk with me." If it was another, they would have mistaken his words to be a rough command of a prince to his mere servant. Yet Oberyn was soothing in every way and so I rose from my seat and linked my arm with his own. My mother sat there, having not the right of complaining as Oberyn and I strode along the maze.

"You wished to have a word, your grace?" I softly inquired, having to look up at him as he was indeed a few inches taller than I.

"No, my lady. I wish only to gaze upon your beauty. I fear that I may bore you with my words. According to my daughters I am not exactly as exciting as I seem." With this he shook his head, yet the smile had never faltered from my lips.

"I am most certain that they mean no harm nor offence to their father. I have heard you have several daughters, correct me if I am wrong?" Oberyn offered me a soft smile and a nod.

"It must be hard, raising women on your own." Oberyn gave me a curt nod before he spoke, the expression upon his face unreadable. "Yes, I admit that it is difficult yet I have my paramour to assist me in doing so."

My expression then grew sullen at the mention of the woman whom I would need to share my husband with if I was to marry Oberyn. As he caught sight of my face, he grew pale upon realizing his mistake.

"I apologize, my lady. I meant no offence. My brother insists that Ellaria be removed from Dornish court once we are married. Does this please you?" And as he looked down at me, his raven hues glistening underneath the beam of the sun with its dark color fading into hazel as he gazed deeply into my crystalline hues.

"I do not enjoy the suffering of others and I do believe that your brother only wishes what is best for you and Dorne. I know that I do not know you well, my prince but I have a feeling that this betrothal would turn out better than expected." And as the final word lingered out of my lips, Oberyn leaned down with his much taller frame now lowering into the same as mine.

His hot breath brushed against the soft and delicate skin of my neck as he spoke. His voice was heavenly and just the very thought of it made my heart flutter.

"You are a good woman, Talisa and I must agree. This will probably work out after all." As he pulled away, gazing down at me with a mischieveous smirk tugging at the corner of his brims at the sight of a deep crimson color painting my cheeks.

With that he walked ahead, leaving me there frozen and with raging hormones. It took me a moment to realize that Oberyn was no longer in sight. Yet at every step I took, his image had not left my mind. He made me quiver for an unknown reason. I grow anxious with his very presence.

Oh Oberyn, what have you done? But just as I began to daze off to my own little world, I began to remember that it was a deadly political game that I was in and I was the pawn. The game was not even near to its finish nor its climax.

Because the game has just began.