Chapter One: Tragedy

^Picture above is Aria

*Aria*

I plunged my feet into the flowing tide, slowly walking towards the gentle ocean. I continued on until everything but my head was emerged into the water.

The sun was beginning to rise over the trees, warming my face. I closed my eyes, basking in the warmth of it. I felt my body calm, releasing myself to the sway of the ocean.

I let a tear fall down my flushed cheeks. A tear for my brother and father- who died a week ago fighting in that God-awful war. I let my chest fill with the burning feeling of loss, letting it overwhelm me in every way.

*flashback*

"Do you have to go?" I sobbed, clutching myself onto my father's now tear-stained shirt, wanting to savor every moment I had left with him.

"You know I have to, princess," he replied, lifting my chin up so I could see his face. He had a small smile on his face, attempting to assure me. "I'll come back to you, I promise."

"Reeses Peanut butter cup promise?" I smiled holding up my pinky.

He chuckled and intertwined his finger with mine, "Reeses Peanut butter cup promise."

His smile faltered, letting his guard down. I immediately knew that he himself was unsure. He sighed, hugging me for the last time and kissed my temple. "I love you, princess. Be strong for your brother and me."

He released me, taking a step back. I held back my tears, regaining my composure, "I love you too daddy, and I will."

*end*

And with that, he was gone. If I had only known what the outcome would be I would've got down on my knees and begged him not to leave.

But of course, no one knew. No one could fathom how bloody the war with the Blood Moon pack was going to be. We lost a third of our members, mostly men, leaving the women in our pack mateless and heartbroken; leaving the children without their fathers. Including me.

My pack, the Red River pack, had suffered a terrible loss and because of that, we're vulnerable. Who knows what ruthless alpha had caught wind of the news, hungry for more land and power.

Our own Alpha, Alpha Jason was getting older and weaker by the day. His mate died during childbirth along with their stillborn son, leaving us without a Luna or an heir.

And me? I had no one. My father and brother, Seth, being the only family members I had left. Until now. I was alone in a dying pack, waiting for death to catch up to me.

I had no real friends now that my brother was gone. My only other friend, Ariana left our pack a few years ago to be with her mate in the Shadow Mountain pack. While I had yet to find my mate.

It hadn't hit me how long I laid there floating until I opened my eyes to see that the sun was now in clear view above the trees. I took that as my cue to leave, swimming back to shore, where the real world would be waiting for me.

I was greeted by another presence waiting for me on the shore. An elder woman with long white hair and a kind smile stood holding a stack of extra clothes for me, Ella, the Alpha's sister.

I gave her a small genuine smile. After the death of the Luna, she tried her best to take care of everyone in the pack, as the Luna would have done. I was grateful for her and her kindness in the midst of all this tragedy. "Thank you, Ella, I really appreciate it."

"It's not a problem, Aria. I know how much you love your morning swim these days," She breathed looking out into the ocean. "I see why you love it so much, It's so peaceful." She looked back at me, "Breakfast is going to be ready in ten minutes, so be ready by then. Oh, and the Alpha said he had an important announcement for the pack."