Chances

Chances.

This drunken excuse for a party was my chance. My only chance to reinvent myself.

Still my last week hadn’t completely sunk in, until recently. Not a surprise considering that rolled up stick that was constantly lit had me on the lightheaded side. Once the room filled with smoke I was fuzzy. My numbed mind was unable to recoiled constant memories. But the drug wasn’t all I regretted. I regretted choosing the drug over the ones I cared for. The ones I still care for.

They told me to look the other way. That stress would die down once I actually got to finishing what I needed to do. Getting things taken care of instead of lying around, wasting my time doing nothing beneficial. But my cluttered head chose to turn the other cheek. And not only ignore them but fooling itself into finding satisfaction in abandoning them; leaving my friends in the dark - and my relationship to fall apart. Now I had nothing.

The worst part about it all was the reminder that once the buzzing faded and the joint unlit, those nagging do’s that I hadn’t finished would still be there. Taunting me.

But I had to make a strong comeback. I needed to.

A crooked smile twisted itself around my lips as I watched teenagers foiling around each other, drink in hand. I turned away from that group and felt another body crash into mine.

"Woah- woah. Sorry."

"Sorry." One foot stepped onto the other as I moved an arm trying to gain balance. The other arm was taken hostage. I looked up to find a tall, fit blonde. Her daring blue eyes flew perfectly against her light complexion.

"I need to watch my step." She spoke, pearl white teeth gleaming between her soft pink lips.

"No, it was my fault." I gushed as she released my arm and relaxed into her stilettos.

"I've known you for two seconds and already you're lying to me." She scolded. A sarcastic grin appearing as she placed her free hand on her hip. The other holding her red cup.

"It’s- I’m-"

"I'm kidding." The full set of white teeth shone as she extended her hand to me. "I'm Casey"

"I'm (Y/N)." I giggled, pulling a strand of hair behind my ear as she gestured me to a lawn chair.

"You're not who I was looking for but it’s nice to see a female face. I kept getting ransacked back there from guys I deflowered as a senior."

"Really?" A chuckle escaped me and she dwindled my giggles, laughing along with me.

"Sad part is they all still look 16. Apart from one actually who I think I have a chance at re-living memories with." Her bottom lip was raised between her teeth as she scanned the backyard full of soon- to -be intoxicated, teenagers.

"What his name?"

"I don't remember exactly, but his face is the same." Her eyes did another round up and settled back on me. "Well I don't see him. I'll look a bit more, later on."

"Well I have to go." A sheepish smile snuck into place as I lifted myself from the seat. The only image in mind being that of my smiling friends after I showed them that I changed. That I was no longer the pot head they had witnessed last week. I noticed Casey give me a slight pout before smiling again.

"I don't want to keep you. Hope I wasn't a drag." She swirled the liquid in her plastic cup around, gazing into it.

"No you're fun to be around."

"You sure know how to make someone smile."

"I'm only saying the truth." Lips curved up with the words.