Chapter 23

My head pounds against my skull, drowning out the sound of my heart racing in my ears. I throw my broken phone onto the kitchen counter, it lands with a thump and the cover slides off, landing on the floor. I sigh, pulling myself up to sit on the kitchen counter.

"Skye?"

I lift my head to see Zeke stood at the door, his phone held against his ear by lifting his shoulder.

"Im ringing you. What happened to your phone?" Zeke questions, lifting his phone from his ear and ending the call, slipping it back into his pocket.

"Did you throw it again?" Zeke guesses. He pulls himself up beside me and scans my face.

"No. I crushed it with my hand." I admit.

Zeke chuckles lightly, making his body jump in his navy dressing gown and his teeth shine behind his lips.

"I saw some things that is going to effect everything." I half explain through gritted teeth.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"I do, but if i tell you it will make it worse, because I am not supposed to know." I admit.

"Well, Im here if you do want to talk." Zeke offers.

"Thanks." I mumble, jumping off the side and walking out of the kitchen.

*

"Help me! Please!" The young boy screams, his begging sobs filling me.

I reach forward in the darkness, my fingertips brushing his very closely. But, not close enough. I try to step forward, but Im stuck to the ground. The small blonde boy, with freckles scattered across his face and emerald eyes that shine with pure fear, starts to scream again. A deafening scream.

A gun blast echoes. The boy disappears. Shock rips through my body and tugs at my muscles, keeping me rooted to the ground.

I gasp for breath quickly, running my hands over myself to ensure I am still alive. I sit bolt upright, my heart racing out of beat and drumming into my skull.

Something catches my eye, a dark figure darting across the bedroom and to the door. I scream, grabbing the lamp from the beside table and throwing it. The sound of smashing fills the silent house, shaking the walls.

"Skye?"

"There's someone here. There's someone here."

Zeke jumps up, picking up the baseball bat from behind the door and taking careful steps. He turns on his toes, scanning the room and glancing out of the bedroom door. Zeke presses the light switch and I gasp a sigh of relief. He looks again and then glances back at me.

"I saw someone." I whisper, terrified tears trickling down my face and I can't wipe them away because of my shaking hands.

"There's no one here." Zeke points out, dropping the bat and walking towards me.

He climbs into the bed beside me and wraps his arms around my shoulders. I lean my head against his chest and my tears fall onto his bare skin.

"I thought I saw someone." I sob.

"I promise there is no one here. No one is going to hurt you again, I promise." Zeke whispers against my ear, kissing the side of my forehead.

"What happened?"

I glance up to see Hope stood in the doorway in her nightie, holding a bat above her head. Lucas is stood behind Hope, his eyes scanning us and fear dances across both of their faces. I hide myself in Zeke and attempt to stop my body from involuntarily shaking.