Chapter 25

My fingers shake, tapping against the edge of the bed. The blonde, pale nurse sticks a needle into Zeke's drip in his hand, she pushes the medicine into his system and pulls it out. She carries the needle out of the room, picking up the file attached to the end of the bed and closing the door behind her. I lean further forward in the chair, so my face is a few inches from Zeke's.

I link my right hand with his, using my left to gently stroke the loose strands of his hair into place, being extra careful not to pull out his thick breathing tube.

"I love you, Zeke, please don't forget that and whatever stupid thing i do, just keep reminding yourself that I love you more then I can describe." I whisper, feeling tears prick at my eyes and my lips begin to shake.

"I can't lose you, Zeke. I wouldn't be able to live if I lost you. I will never forgive myself if i loose you because of me. Don't give up fighting, Zeke, because I will stay here every day and every night until I can see your beautiful eyes open again." I beg, standing up and planting a kiss on his fevered forehead.

Suddenly, the door swings open and someone races in, flinging their arms around me.

"Lucas?" I question.

He nods against me and hides his face in my chest, holding back tears. I rest my hands on his head and smile.

"Mum?" Hope squeals, running over and joining in with the hugs.

After a minute, Hope and Lucas pull away, smiling. A few tears trickle down their cheeks.

"Are you okay, mum?" Lucas asks, his hand slipping into mine and squeezing it tight.

"I'm fine. I promise everything will be alright." I whisper, unsure if i can keep it.

Both Hope and Lucas pull up a chair to sit beside me. They're both silent and don't say a word.

"I forgot to ask, where are you two staying?"

"Captain's." Hope answers, staring at her lap.

"When you see him next, can you tell him I said sorry?"

Hope raises her head, confusion sparkling in her determined, mutation filled eyes.

"I sort of had a go at him because of something. But, I should have thanked him instead."

"He'll understand."

"I need to get a drink, can you two stay here?" I ask.

"Of course." Hope smiles, resting her hand on top of mine.

"Do any of you want anything?"

"No, thanks." They chorus.

I step outside of the room, sighing deeply. I walk through the hospital ward and into the white corridor.

The world seems more dangerous, more loud. I hear the faint cry of a child and the pain filled moan of a dying man. The machines beeping fills my ears and bounce into my brain. I lean my back against the wall, and slide down until Im sat on the floor. Pulling my hands over my ears, I mutter science equations under my breath and hide my face in my knees. I attempt to block out the screaming sounds that buzz in my ears.

"Skye?"

I open my eyes quickly, tears flowing down my permanently damp cheeks.

"Make it stop, Ward, please." I beg.

"What is it? Talk to me, Skye."

"Everything is too loud and too big." I whisper, squeezing my eyes tightly closed.