Or maybe not.

"Okay, you know what?" I lean forward and prop my hands on the desk. "Let's make a deal."

Jed's brows shot up. Good. I've got his attention.

"For the next thirty minutes, we leave each other alone. I drift off, you keep quiet, and we both pretend we're actually doing something."

Jed shakes his head, sending the longer strands of his hair falling into his eyes. "You're getting it all wrong, Fiona. Deals are supposed to be fun. This is not fun."

"It is to people who are actually capable of surviving five minutes without talking."

His lips form a spout and he lets out a low whistle. My eyes dart to the front of the classroom over his shoulder but I don't see Mrs. Scottinson anywhere. She must have left us again and hid in the storage.

"Ouch. That one hurt."

I keep my face blank but my lips itch to form a small smile.

"Good."

Jed's eyes flash dangerously and his half-grin turns predatory. I hold his stare as he glues his eyes to mine, watching me almost curiously. For a moment, the intensity in his glare is so big that I'm afraid the thin lenses of his glasses are going to melt. I can see a challenge hidden in his brown orbs, pushing me into a territory that my brain marks as unknown and off-limits.

What a shame my reason went running to the hills a long time ago.

I don't notice Jed's hands move until he holds out one of them. My eyes flick to his fingers holding a balled piece of paper. He doesn't unfold it, he doesn't have to. I already know what it is. The dangerous smile is back on and the challenge in his eyes is even more visible now.

The game's on.

"It starts with a six." He says, his voice way huskier than the last time he spoke. "The number."

If I were a brainiac, I'd shower him with the number of possibilities of coming up with a number starting with six. I bet there's even a formula meant to count it. But I'm not a brainiac, so the answer I come up with is:

"Screw you."

Jed chuckles low in his throat and throws the ball up carelessly.

"I'll send Mae your greetings."

The more my eyes narrow, the wider his smile grows. It's like the two things are connected together in a directed ratio.

"What do you want?" I drawl.

"A day."

A crease forms between my brows. "What?"

"I want a day out of your life."

"What do you need it for?" I ask suspiciously.

He shrugs. "That's my business. You just have to give me a day."

I raise a brow. "Are you the devil?"

Jed breaks out in a short laugh before answering. "No. But I'd like to be."

Of course he would. "Tell me what you need the day for and I'll think about it."

A slight shake of his head. Barely noticeable. Fully purposeful. "You have to promise first."

"Then kiss your day goodbye."

I cross my arms over my chest and challenge him with my eyes. Jed's fingers keep fiddling with the paper ball, turning it around in his palm. He seems like he's doing it absentmindedly, but I know better. Jed doesn't want me to forget the power he's holding in his hands and that little charade is a perfect reminder.