We don't always get what we want though. Just as I was getting my breathing under control, a girl with a stick thin figure and short red hair wrapped her arms around his neck from behind before whispering something in his ear.

I wanted to staple her lips shut!

Our eye contact broke and within seconds our little world had crumbled causing sounds of the cafeteria to fill my ears. Shaking my head to rid myself from the trance I had just found myself in I looked over to where he was sitting, but he had already gone.

Where the hell did he go?

I stood from my chair and my eyes darted around hoping I would see him, but I couldn't find him anywhere. He must have left.  Checking my watch, I knew the bell was about to go signaling the end of lunch so before I was questioned by everyone, I grabbed my bag and ran out.

Walking through the empty halls I checked the classrooms, but there was still no sign of him. Did he ditch? Is he looking for me? I had no idea. All I did know was that I had to find him and talk about what was happing between us. It's important for him to find his mate, isn't it? Of course it is, I told myself.

Every wolf is excited to find their mate, right?

I turned the corner and immediately stepped back, shielding myself behind the lockers. A sharp pain ripped its way through my chest, taking my breath with it. I grasped at the collar of my shirt pulling it away with one hand whilst the other pressed against my chest. Maybe he was telling her he'd found his mate? Maybe they're just friends? Either way I had to find out.

With each step I took closer to him, the pain in my chest got better and worse at the same time. My wolf was doing summersaults at the thought of being closer to him, whilst my eyes could still see how close he stood to her.

"It's rude to stare, you know." The red head said with a smirk on her face. I knew her from my English class, her name was Anna Gooden.

I cleared my throat. "Um... can I talk to you?" I directed my question at him, ignoring the girl hanging off his neck.  I was afraid that if I didn't I would have made an Anna shaped hole in the wall. 

His whole body stiffened as if he was suddenly aware of my presence. "No."

No? That's all I get, no? "I think we-" I began.

"There is no we!" He growled. "Just back the hell off loser." There is no we? Is he freaking kidding me?

"Hey!" I yelled as I grabbed his shoulder. My body suddenly went into shock as the heat and sparks made their way through every inch of me. My heart sped up and my mouth went dry. What the hell is going on? I knew he was my mate, but these reactions are gonna kill me.

I know he felt whatever I did, because his body tensed even more, his breathing became ragged and I could feel his heart beat was faster than mine was.

"Go!" He growled. At first I was tempted to drop my hand and walk away, but I couldn't. I didn't want to.

"Anna, get the hell away from me." His tone was low, but dangerous. It was clear he was using his Alpha tone with her and she knew it. Giving a slight bow of her head and shooting daggers with her eyes at me, she ran down the corridor.

"Calm down, please. We can talk about everything, about us." I said soothingly in his ear. I felt him shiver and a small smile found its way to my lips. His body was still tense, but his breathing slowed as he inhaled deeply. My wolf was proud that we could calm our mate. The sparks intensified the longer I touched him, God only knows what it would feel like to actually touch his skin!

Our elated feeling was short lived.

Before I knew what was happening my body was pinned against the lockers on the other side of the corridor. I could feel the coldness of the steel on my back through my sweater and the heat radiating from him on my chest. His face was inches from mine and for the first time I could see just how angry he was. His eyes were the blackest I've ever seen and his jaw was clenched tight. He was pissed.

"I'll say this once and only once. I want nothing to do with you. I don't want you as my mate or anything else, do you understand?" His words hit a part of me I never knew existed and I felt a pain in my heart I couldn't describe. His intoxicating scent only worsened my problem with breathing. "I never want you to speak, touch or look at me again. This will be the last thing I will say to you, so listen loud and clear nerd." He paused for a moment and every inch of my body knew what was coming next. I could see the determination on his face. This wasn't just an angry outburst, this was it for him.

The tears pricked once more at my eyes as I waited for the words I never thought I'd hear. "I, Mason Vermont reject you, Rainie Harper as my mate."