Exes And "Oh"s

[the title is the best thing I've ever written honestly]

The mystery guy with poison ivy from the street was back again the next day, before hours as anticipated, and as I'd hoped. His hands were shoved in the pockets of the same leather jacket he'd worn yesterday (which he'd hopefully cleaned, considering it looked like he had accidentally spilled something all over it before he walked in), his teeth shining brightly through a mischievous looking Cheshire Cat grin as he pushed through the door.

I assumed the window hadn't been broken and he was back for another fuck you flower vase, naturally.

"Dallon," he glared jokingly, squinting down quickly at the name tag pinned through my shirt "it didn't break the window."

Jokes on him though, because I'd assembled another pre-made bunch of flowers I'd made like 10 minutes ago in assumption he'd be back. Also because I'm on top of things and I've had nothing to do for hours this morning. His coffee swirl eyes widened in surprise and an impressed smile spread across his lips.

"May I ask why you specifically want to deliver these through a window unlike a normal person?" I slid the vase over the countertops and into his outstretched hands.

"Well you see, we live right next to each other. And I was climbing into his room through the window directly across from our houses like I usually do when I wanna be with him, and it just so happens the curtains were open. Let's just say I got a very unpleasant view, and long story short we are no longer together." He muttered, a gleam of annoyance glazing over his eyes "but that doesn't matter. I should've known Ryan wasn't going to stay with me in the first place."

I winced sympathetically and he shrugged, sighing before continuing. "And that was like a week or two ago. Yesterday I found out it was with one of my best friends, who's name shall not be mentioned."

I couldn't even imagine living next to a partner, let alone an ex. It seemed like a nightmare to be that close to anyone. And to recently find out it was with a friend, must've been even worse.

"Ouch," I said simply "Ryan... sounds like a stupid name anyways." I don't know why I said that. Now that was stupid. My cheeks started burning when he didn't respond right away, like he had to think before answering again.

"Yeah," he mused "I guess you're not wrong. But after 3 years, I thought I could trust him more."

I hadn't even been in a relationship that lasted more than 3 months, let alone 3 years. Weeds-from-the-street guy didn't strike me as the type that would be committed to a relationship that long either. Yet he did, and apparently that didn't end in his favor. I probably would've laughed if I didn't feel incredibly bad for him.

"Oh." Damn it, say something else. Sound interesting, like you're funny.

"Sorry?"

"You should be sorry if this vase doesn't break his window," he winked and smiled with one side of his lips, held up the flowers with one hand while pulling open the glass door.

The bell clinked against the frame and he glanced back. "It's the ribbon that really makes it better."

"It's all in the ribbon." I muttered and he must've heard me, which I didn't mean to happen, and laughed before letting the door shut by itself with a satisfying swish.

His coffee swirl eyes locked with mine until he rounded the corner out of sight, and as soon as I couldn't see him anymore it was like my heart had started beating again. Which is weird because if my heart had quit beating then I would be dead. I don't even know his name, yet he was enough to make my head spin.

No, stop. You met him yesterday. You don't even know his name.

Honestly, this sounds like the beginning to like a Disney movie or something stupid and cheesy. Like when the princess meets some weird dude in the forest and instantly falls in love and from there on out it's a cliche sappy romantic story for the books.

Disgusting.

But I kinda felt bad for wishing Ryan's window would remain intact.

The bell above the door rang again and I looked up, hoping he was back again just so I could have someone to talk to, but it was Tyler instead. I should've expected it to be him, considering he stopped by to see me wherever I was, nearly every single day for nearly our entire lives.

He looked like he was about to murder someone, as usual when he was on the job (well, any job for that matter), so I prepared myself for a long explanation as to why he should've never applied.

"Okay, delivering mail is officially the worst job I have ever had." He complained loudly and slammed down a bundle of letters that were not addressed to me, as usual.

"You've said that every time you've stopped by for the past week."

"That's true. Because I really do hate this," he muttered and wandered over to a huge bucket full of hydrangeas, the huge stack of mail he'd released sliding across the countertop. He pointed down at the purple petals and looked over towards me "what do these ones mean?"

"Thank you for understanding; Frigidity; Heartlessness."

"Oh boy, that is a very wide range of emotions... what about these ones?" He pointed across the room towards a couple yellow and white jonquils.

"Desire, affection returned; halfway between sympathy and love."

Tyler sighed and defeatedly dropped his hands to his side. They found his pockets and he leaned over a couple buckets to the right of the jonquils.

"I remember you told me once that variegated tulips mean beautiful eyes or somethin'. Do you think Josh would like those?"

"Are you planning to talk to him face to face or just hide them with his mail again?"

He glared at me out of the corner of his eye and twisted the stem between his fingers and growled, "Haven't decided yet."

"I think he'd appreciate it more if you gave it to him instead of just sticking it in his mailbox."

"I'd appreciate it more if you didn't charge me for this because I spent my recent paycheck on fixing the bathroom toilet, which I might add your second place best friend broke again." Tyler paused for dramatic effect like he usually did "see, 'cuz I'm the first place best friend. And I wouldn't break the toilet again. Because I love you."

"No homo?"

"No homo, bro."

I sighed and passed Tyler back the mail. I wasn't going to charge him for the lone flower he was using to seduce a guy he'd never talked to before. Also, it probably wasn't Patrick's fault this time around; more likely Tyler was trying to place the blame off of him after clogging it again trying to see how much paper he could flush down the drain.

He grinned and scooped the letters up into his arms, careful not to squish the single flower in his grip. "I'll talk to Josh if you talk to that guy that was just in here," he yelled over his shoulder on the way out the door and winked "he's a cutie!"

"I'll try."

"No," he whirled around, nearly dropping a few letters in the process "you gotta. You gotta promise me that you'll talk to him."

"Fine, I promise I'll talk to him tomorrow, if he's even here. Happy?"

Tyler shrugged and rolled his eyes. "I'll be happier if you really do talk to him."

"Just get out of here."