Jack keeps his head down as he walks over to his closest, opening the door for Alex as he steps out.

"Oh look Bassam, Alexander's just come out of the closet where he was hiding. How fitting? Jack, perhaps you'd like to come out of the closet too, because it's the only coming out you will be doing," Joyce mocks, her tone disapproving "Now boys, this is the last time we will talk to you on this matter. You two are not to spend time together unaccompanied, is that understood? Both of us and The Gaskarth's forbid it. This little phase you're going through, it's not right and we won't tolerate it. You need to stay apart, you'll soon realised you're confused and not in love. If word of your indiscretion was ever to get out, it would ruin the reputation that both families have, a reputation that previous generations have worked tirelessly to build. That reputation will not be ruined by two, confused, silly, 18 year old boys convinced they're in love! Alexander, it's time for you to leave. Your parents will be wondering where you've got to. If we catch you both together, there will be serious repercussions, is that understood?"

Both boys jump a little, startled at how angry and stern she sounds. They begin to squirm under the dagger like glares that both are being directed at them.

"Jack, we raised you to have manners and I'm sure your parents did too, Alexander," Bassam snaps, his voice echoing off of the high ceilings, making it seem even louder "You will answer when spoken too. Now, answer her, do you both understand what she has said."

"Yes, we understand," Alex replies, not daring to look at them "We'll stay apart!"

He's lying, Jack knows he is. The couple aren't going to stay apart because their parents want them to. Their parents mightn't realise it yet but what they have is love. It's the real thing. They can't see past the ideals that have been set by society. They can only see their reputation and the stories the gossip columns will produce when they find that the sons of the two wealthiest families in Maryland, the two most eligible bachelors in the state, if not the country, are not just best friends but lovers.

But soon, the summer will be over and Alex and Jack will be on their way to Boston to go to University. Their parents had both been thrilled when their sons had both been accepted into Harvard to study Business; that is until they caught Jack and Alex making out one afternoon. After-all, both men were both alumni of the prestigious school and had been childhood best friends, just like Alex and Jack. Their mothers had met while studying in NYU. They had been sorority sisters, who both came from pretty wealthy families themselves.

When Joyce and Isobel had married into the Barakat and Gaskarth families respectively, they were the talks of the society pages. Their weddings were covered by a national glossy magazine and they were jointly dubbed "the wedding of the year" Alex and Jack were supposed to follow in their parents footsteps, go off to University, marry two women from good families, take over the family fortune and have a family of their own. Nowhere in that plan, did it state that they would fall in love with each other. It wasn't an acceptable thing to do and it wouldn't be tolerated by either family. Now, their parents weren't as pleased that their sons were heading for Harvard, unaccompanied, away from the watchful eyes of their parents. There was nothing they could do about it. They'd already held a lavish party in the boys' honour, publically announcing their delight that both boys were following the family legacy. They couldn't retract their statements without raising suspicion.

Jack's parent still stood in the room, their arms crossed firmly over their chest, their expressions stony and disapproving. Alex muttered an apology to them before going to put his hoodie on and grab his bag. Jack grabbed his hand, sending a pleading look to his parents. He could act his part just as well as Alex could.

"If you're going to insist we stay apart then the least you can do is give us a few minutes alone before he leaves," Jack pleaded, although his voice had an edge to it "Please! We need to end this properly and after that, we won't see each other on our own again, we promise. We know you're only looking out for us and this will be the last time you'll have to speak to us about it."