Straight for the Knife

It was supposed to be your date. You and Erik haven't been on one since... Since you don't even remember. He was very busy since he started to lead the Brotherhood. You have joined him, you had no other choice - you knew how much he needed you. But there was no day you couldn't think of Charles. Sometimes you were doing a little research and you found out he wasn't doing very well. It was causing you sleepless nights. You didn't tell Erik, though. You were glad it was Charles who could read minds and not your boyfriend.

You wore your best dress with pretty underwear underneath that. Put your make up on and left. You wanted to make Erik proud and happy when he sees you.

At first it was alright. He took you to the restaurant and you ordered meals with fancy names that turned out to be just regular meat with mashed potatoes. You couldn't stop laughing at nasty food they called "Heavenly Meal".

You went home and then it happened.

"Erik?", you started.

"Hm?", he asked.

"Don't you think we should visit Charles?", you risked.

"Excuse me?", Erik stopped and looked at you.

"I mean... We owe him something, don't we? Also, I've heard he's not doing well. And... And... Maybe this time we'll convince him to join us..."

"Have you lost your mind? Why are you even thinking of him?", Erik asked, "He's in our past. He's just a ghost for us".

"Speak for yourself if you can! How can you? He was your best friend. Even more than mine... And I can't stop thinking about what happened in Cuba while you... You're walking around like nothing happened and I want to remind you, you are the reason everything is ruined right now!", you yelled at him. You couldn't understand how cold he could be.

In this moment every metal object in the room turned against you, including kinves.

"Erik!", you screamed, "Stop it! How dare you?!"

He didn't stop, though. He was just looking at you with mad eyes. Erik moved closer to you.

"Don't you ever speak to me like that again", he whispered, "You can go to him if you really want to. Go on, I knew you didn't belong here since the very first day. I could smell your weakness, I could see the doubt in that pretty (e/c) eyes of yours. You owe me nothing, (y/n), you don't have to be here. Leave. I don't need you. Actually, you're a burden. You stop me, make me slower, sentimental"

"Alright then", you said after the long silence, trying to stop your tears from falling down, "Alright then", you repeated, "I'm leaving. If you ever want me again, don't come back", you said trying to leave the room but it was hard because every metal object was still aimed at you and Erik was standing very close to you.

When you finally touched the handle, you could feel the door locking itself.

"I thought you wanted me to leave", you said coldly.

"I thought you would never do that", he admitted. You heard metal objects falling on the floor.

"You don't know me well then, Lehnsherr", you turned your head to look at him. Erik was kind of surprised, kind of scared and kind of... Kind of sad for your surprise, "Was it a test?", you asked.

"I could ask you the same thing. All your talking about Charles..."

"I really do miss him", you said quietly.

"It doesn't matter now, (y/n). We need to move on. Our feelings aren't important. Charles and I have different views on the situation. I want to protect the mutants. I want to protect you... Your choice shouldn't be about who you like but whose opinion you share"

"For me, you're both wrong. He trusts people too much and you hate them too much. We need to protect our brothers and sisters but not at all cost. We can't kill all the people... Our parents were humans after all...", you said.

"That's why you're with me, (y/n). You're here to stop me when I'm pushing the limits", Erik moved closer and his hand started to caress your cheek.

"I thought I was making you weak"

"Yes, you are. But not in a wrong way"

You couldn't stop yourself and started to cry.

"Shh...", Erik tried to shush you. He kissed your cheeks, forehead and the lips.

"Why are you crying now?", he asked.

You started to shake your head.

"You always do such things and then you wonder why you make girls cry"

"It's alright now, shh, I'm sorry", Erik said and you looked up at him.

"You know I wouldn't actually leave, right?", you asked.

"Of course", he smiled.