I cocked my head to the side. “The things I have to lose are minor to what the people my father denied have and will lose. I can’t explain it, but family means something to my dad. I’m asking him to choose us over his company and money. If he doesn’t choose his family over a few bucks, then I really don’t consider him a father-”

“Elle! Do you not hear yourself? You can’t just pick and choose your family ... and you sure can’t change them. Yes, your father is an asshole for denying those people. I will be the first to admit that but that doesn’t mean you have to follow through with this insane plan. Just ... think about all that you are willing to do and the consequences. That is all I ask...”

I stared at Kat for a long minute before I nodded and looking down at my hot pink blanket. “I have thought about this Kat. With every fiber in my being I pray that Dad decides to accept those people but if he doesn’t ... something has to be done. He can’t get away with what he is doing. He denied mothers, brothers, fathers, sisters, grandparents ... and kids our age that will never experience high school or make memories like we will. They can’t walk across a stage and get their diploma in four years. Instead, they have to rot in a hospital while their parents wonder how they are going to pay the bills.” I shook my head. “No one should be worried about that when their child is dying.”

Kat placed her hand on mine, “I hear you. I really do, Elle. It is just that I don’t want you, in ten years, to regret what you are about to do...”

“I won’t,” I sternly replied.

Kat bobbed her head. “Okay, what do you need me to do?”

I furrowed my eyebrow in confusion of what she meant. “Huh?”

“I kept telling you this was a bad idea and you should rethink this but you are adamant about doing this. And you know my policy, if my friend is going to walk through Hell I might as well go with them. I mean, every villain has a sidekick.”

I chuckled, “I don’t think villains have sidekicks. I think that is more of a superhero kind of thing.”

“Are you denying help?” Kat asked with an appalled facial expression.

“No, no. Help is always welcomed. Speaking of help ... Should we include Randall in on this?” I questioned.

“Most definitely not. He is your crush, which means he will be a distraction. We can’t have any distractions.”

I gave Kat a roll of my brown eyes. “Randall is not a distraction.”

“As your partner in crime, I say no.”

I stuck my tongue out at her, only to have her do the same.

“So,” Kat started to say, “While we are on the topic of Randall, when are you going to tell him that you are madly in love with him and have wild dreams in which you and him-”

I grabbed my pillow and smacked Kat right upside the head with it. “Shut up,” I blushed.

Kat wiggled her eyebrows, “You know you want him.”

“Kat!” I screeched.

“Who does Elle want?” A voice inquired from my doorway.

Turning my head, I saw Peter standing in my doorpost looking intently at Kat and me. With a step in my room he brought silence.

A couple pregnant seconds passed before Kat hopped off my bed. “Well, I would love to stay here and be enveloped in awkward silence, but I have people to see and places to be!” Glancing over at me, Kat threw a wink in my direction. “Catch ya later, Chica.” Turning to face Peter, Kat gave a single nod. “Peter.”