Since I had no books to put in there, I closed the locker again. When I turned, I found Creston closing his own locker, two textbooks in his hands. Then he came back over to me and checked my paper again, "Geometry huh? Rough one to begin the day with. Well I'll walk you there, come on."

A bell rang overhead, signaling the beginning of classes. Just then I realized I hadn't seen another student since we left the main office. They must all be in their classrooms now, except for me and Creston. Great. I'd have to walk in late, and tell the teacher I was new. In front of everyone.

What if I was forced to introduce myself? What if they wanted to hear my life history?

Oh no, panic growing. Attack looming.

"You okay?" Creston asked from my side, watching me in concern. I swallowed quickly, and nodded though I was far from okay. But I've come this far already, I could face a small class then hide in the back of the room.

I could do this.

But those weren't the words I was thinking when Creston stopped in front of a closed wooden door. He gestured towards it, "This is geometry. Good luck with Mr. Millings, he's a legitimate bore. But I've got a buddy in there, Tommy. He'll take you to your next class if you want."

I offered him my best smile, "Thank you."

He only shrugged and grinned once again, "No problem. Good luck today."

Then he turned and started lazily off down the hall. He was going to be late because he went out of his way to show me this classroom. I decided right then that he was a very nice guy and vowed to befriend him before the semester ended. I had to make at least one friend, to put Jason's mind at ease. To put my own mind to ease.

I turned my focus back to the door, licking my lips nervously. With a dry mouth and a pounding heart. I pulled the door open and stepped forward. Luckily, there were only fifteen or so kids sitting in this room, each of them looking like they were trying to fight sleep. The man at the front of the room looked towards me, somewhat surprised, "Can I help you?"

For only half a second, my voice vanished, probably running for the hills like I desperately wanted to. But then I realized by not speaking, I'd make a bigger fool of myself so I took a step forward and mumbled, "I'm new."

The teacher, Mr. Millings I presumed, broke into a smile and nodded, "Oh yes. Come on in. We're pretty far along but your grades from your last school are quite impressive so just follow along for now. There's an open seat in the back."

I nodded a quick thanks before retreating to the back as the eyes of everyone trailed after me. No one seemed overly interested that I was new which offered me slight comfort. Before anyone else could speak, a man's voice came over the intercom for the Pledge of Allegiance and the morning announcements. This took up the next five minutes and after that Mr. Millings dove right into the lesson for today.

While I busied myself with taking notes, everyone else just sat there and stared at the board. At one point, the boy sitting in front of me pulled his phone from his pocket, then glanced back at me and asked quietly, "You Genevieve?"

How did he know who I was?

I nodded.

"I'm Tommy. Creston just texted me, said to take you to Spanish after this?" He finished in a question, waiting for my response.

But what exactly was I supposed to tell him? Beg him for help since I had no clue where to go? Assure him that I was fine and that I'd find it on my own? Collapse to the floor and assume fetal position?