No, I scolded myself. I can't do that again. I can't spend the rest of my life acting like I'mterrified of my own shadow. There comes a point in your life when you need to grow up and this was that point for me. There was absolutely no reason to not walk into that school. No one was asking me to befriend the entire student body, no one was asking me to even talk to anyone.

All I had to do was take the first step. Not physically, though I needed to do that too, but mentally. I had to move on with my life, I had to move forward.

With that thought still ringing in my mind, I took one final deep breath and started off towards the school. I managed to blend in with the other students, allowing myself to get lost amongst the crowd. A few minutes later, the mob of bodies barreled right past the front office. So I quickly stepped out of everyone's way and pushed through the wooden door to the safety of the small and relatively silent office.

Only one woman sat in this room, her eyes locked on a computer screen while her fingers danced unbelievably fast over the keyboard. She didn't even notice me until I stepped right in front of her, and bumped my knee on the desk by accident.

My cheeks heated.

The woman looked up and peered at me over the rim of her glasses. She had tidy blonde curls hugging her head and eyes covered in blue eyeshadow, not to mention her large lips which were painted a bright pink. Her penciled eyebrows rose and she spoke in a heavily southern accented voice, "Can I help you?"

I nodded. Here we go, this is the time to shine baby. Oh yeah, I'm feeling the vibes now. Deep breath, Genevieve. And ... "I'm new."

Oh fuck me. That's the best I could come up with? I'm new, that's it?

The woman's face brightened, "Oh you must be Maggie's grandbaby. I figured you might be considerin' I don't recognize you and I know all the students in this school. Anyways, my name is Pam, if you ever need anythin', feel free to ask me for it okay darlin'?"

She waited for a response but all I could muster was a simple head nod.

But Pam only shrugged, "Okay, so here's your class schedule. You have Geometry first then Spanish, which is much easier than the other students will tell you it is. Then you move right along to Biology II and after that is Classical Literature. Then Study Hall which is lunch time. There are three lunches; A, B, and C. You've got A lunch so you get to eat first, ain't you a lucky one. After that is the Senior Seminar, which is just fancy code for them teachin' you about adult stuff. And then you'll end the day with gym. Any questions?"

So many words, so many classes, too much information. What the actual fu-

"You okay, honey? You look a bit pale." Pam cut in, adjusting her glasses as if maybe the lenses were fogged up.

Well, what now?

I managed another simple nod and a tiny "I'm fine." that seemed to satisfy the secretary. She shot me a cheeky smile before handing the paper over to me.

"Anything else, sweetie?"

Sure, I should ask where the classes were or how to get to Geometry at least considering I was entirely lost at the moment. But I feared the avalanche of words that would roll from Pam's mouth if I dare ask such a question so I only shook my head and muttered a quick thank you before turning for the door to make an escape.

"Oh real quick, sugar, your locker is in the green hallway. Number seventy-seven. You got that?" She called out kindly but I was already halfway out the office door so I nodded and gave her a 'thumbs up' to let her know I had heard her.

But where on God's green earth was the green hallway? And why was it green?

Not the question I should be asking myself.