Chapter 4

"ALLIE, ALLIE!"

I slowly opened my eyes to be temporarily blinded by the light. Someone was constantly shaking me and that was messing up my insides. I looked around dazed not really acknowledging my surroundings.

"Where am I?" I croaked. My throat was dry and scratchy.

"Allie?" Someone screamed. I turned my head up to meet with the jade green eyes of the person. I suddenly felt nauseous after being shaken up so much.

"Scarlett. Stop shaking me! What am I doing here?" I asked the fourteen year old who was grabbing my almost dislocated shoulders.

"That's what I was asking you. What are you doing here in the kitchen? Did you sleep here the whole night?" She shrieked loudly and continued to shake me vigorously.

"If you do that again, I will puke on your face," I told her warningly. Scarlett gave me a disgusted look before removing her hands from my aching shoulders.

"Did you sleep here the entire night? This place is infested by mice," She said as she turned her head around and her blonde hair whipped along. She had received Hailey's glamorous genes and was fastly turning into a beauty queen.

"Yeah," I said, shuddering as I recollected my horrific memories of last night. "I had come here to get a glass of water and...." I  trailed, glancing at the spoon lying lifelessly on the floor. Her eyes searched my face expectantly.

"And?" Scarlett cocked a perfectly shaped eyebrow.

"I guess I fell asleep here," I told her uncertainly. I really don't remember what had happened after the kitchen door had closed.

"Really?"

"Yep."

"Unbelievable!" She exclaimed. I shrugged nonchalantly, even though I was freaking out inside. She gave me a look of utter disbelief.

"It's almost time for school. I better hurry up," She stated as she moved busily about the room, preparing a breakfast for herself. I was glad that she had dropped the subject. I winced softly as I felt the pain creeping up from my hips and shoulders when I tried stretching. Disadvantages of sleeping on cold sturdy kitchen floorboards.  

Suddenly she turned to face me. An undecipherable expression merged on her elfin features. She blinked a few times at me.

"But the door was locked from the outside. How come?" Scarlett wondered loudly. I groaned on realising that the questions were not going to stop soon.

"Maybe dad or Hailey had done it on seeing the door open and they must not have seen me napping in here," I reasoned almost all of a sudden.

"Oh!" She replied. She stared suspiciously at me. I avoided her gaze.

"Wait! Is that blood on your hands?" She exclaimed. I looked at the dried blood in my hand and nearly freaked out. I had forgotten about it. I suddenly felt really scared. If someone was playing a prank on me then it was way too cruel.

"Yeah, I must have hurt my hand somewhere," I said, trying to sound indifferent. Scarlett didn't believe me and that was evident from the frown etched on her face.

"But that's a great deal of blood. I should tell mom," She said worriedly. She abruptly closed her mouth shut on realising her mistake and that was dropping the 'mom' word. The apologetic expression on her face suddenly turned into one of sympathy. Scarlett was Hailey's favorite daughter. She was in fact everyone's favourite.