Chapter XVIII - Courtship from Afar

Start from the beginning

I glared at him. "I was helpless to that rebel in the forest."

"Far from it. Alright, so you sacrificed a chunk of your leg, but he's dead and you're alive. Although, I must admit, I do think talking your way out of it might have been a better option."

Gods, was it so difficult for him to admit that he had made a mistake? He had sent me into the forest alone and unguarded, straight into the path of the rebels, and now he was going to blame me for my brush with death? He had a nerve.

"Look at me, for gods' sakes," I said. "The same complexion as every other southerner within eighty leagues. He knew where I came from, and he didn't care. Likely as not, he spotted me at your side just before you invaded his home!"

Temris stared at me for an uncomfortably long time. Then, just as I was about to drop my gaze, he reached for the sword belt and freed a short knife. He handed it to me, tightening his grip at the last second.

"If this ends up buried in my side, I'll make sure Fendur knows exactly who it belonged to," he warned me quietly.

I nodded and took the weapon, tucking it into my own belt. A slow grin spread across my face. After a day with the northerners, I had lost my chains. A few days more and I was armed. Who knew — maybe tomorrow I would be running the whole damn place.

"You said if," I realised. "Not when. That almost sounds like progress."

He smiled grudgingly. "Yes, I'd say it almost does."

"Did I hear my name?" Fendur chirped out, emerging from the nearest shelter. "Good morning, lovebirds."

"Ah, there you are," Temris smirked. "Would you be so kind as to escort Lyra back to her bed? She seems disinclined to listen to me."

I gave him a nasty glare. He didn't need to pull rank to force me into obedience, not when he had fifty men willing to do it for him. One way or another, I would end up back with Melia before she woke.

He looked bored. "Why can't you do it yourself? It's only a hundred paces that way."

"Because if I try, she'll fight back. I have a sneaking suspicion she doesn't want to hurt you so badly," he explained.

"So maybe you should address the underlying issue of why she wants to hurt you so much," Fendur suggested.

"Excuse me, you two. I'm right here," I complained. Neither of them paid me any attention.

Temris's smirk grew. "I already know the issue. It's because she can't keep her hands off me."

"Of course not," I scoffed. In truth, that was only half the reason. The other half was that he was an irritating bastard.

"You know," Fendur mused, again failing to acknowledge me, "that does make sense. Alright, I'll do it."

He bowed to me and offered me an arm. "M'lady, may I have the honour of—"

"Oh, shut up," I grumbled, allowing myself to be led away. Temris disappeared off in the direction of the horses.

The footing was a little slippery. It had rained heavily all night, making me thankful for the efforts of the shelter builders. As we traipsed across the muddy ground, the camp began to stir. Our argument may have woken the neighbours. I tried not to feel bad.

Fendur left me just outside the shelter. Inside, Melia was snoring softly, obviously still fast asleep. I squirmed into the entrance before I shook her awake. "Come on, we'll be going in an hour."

She jerked to awareness, a strange look of vulnerability in her eyes. As I tried to pull on my boots, Melia grabbed my arm. "We're going to reach the camp today, aren't we?"