What she said made me freeze. Dad lost a lot of blood. Then I remembered something, dad had a rare blood type. He was O negative and not many people in the world had it. There were even less people in our small town that had it. In fact I don’t know anyone else except me in this town that had an O negative blood type.

As if on cue, the doctor emerged from behind the surgical doors, he looked tired and sad. My stomach dropped, please don’t tell us that daddy is dead, please I prayed as he neared us. It had only been half an hour since surgery, they couldn’t be already done unless then they lost the patient.

My mom’s sobs escalated and so did my breathing Wes grabbed my mom and hugged her to him as I took a step towards the doctor.

“Gracie, Mrs. Watson, James has lost too much blood and we trying everything we can but significant blood loss is effecting his healing process as well as our chance to try to fix him. We are having a difficult time helping him because don’t have an extra supply of type O negative blood around since it rare which is why I’m requesting that Gracie donates some blood”. The doctor said.

For an entire minute all I could do was stare. So my dad wasn’t dead? That wasn’t the reason the doctor got out of surgery so early?

Then I shook myself out of the daze and realized what he said. I nodded, “yes! Where can I go do this” I asked him.

“You can come with me”. He said.

I turned to my mom. “He’s going to be fine mom, dad is a fighter he’s going to fight this, I will be right back ok”. I told her. Then I looked up at Wes and I didn’t even have to tell him anything, he looked me deep in eyes and nodded once like he understood.

At that moment I was so thankful to have him as a friend. My mom nodded and grabbed me in a hug. Then I followed the doctor.

Two hours later after they checked me for an illnesses and everything of that sort and I gave three pints of blood I came back to the waiting room.

I felt a little dizzy and couldn’t see well but the nurse told me it was normal. Besides I wasn’t really worried, my thoughts were with my father.

After about six hours of surgery and waiting in the waiting room with my mom’s head on my lap as she laid on the sofa and my head resting on Wes’s shoulder the doctor came out. We all sprang up. Even my mom who I thought was sleeping.

“We have stopped the blood loss and replaced it with the blood Gracie donated, but we are still not out of the woods yet. James’s blood losses combined with his severe wounds are making it hard for him to recover enough to wake up and shift, which would really help him right now. That’s why I’m transferring him to another hospital, a bigger one that will have the equipment that is needed to help him recover enough to wake up and shift”. The doctor filled us in.

“Now before you ask, I have cleared it with a friend of mine that works in that hospital to especially take care of him, a shifter.  James is going to receive the best care possible. But I do regret to inform you that only one family member can come along. Who that will be is up to you guys to decide. And I believe the faster we transfer him there the better, which is why I have arrange for him to go later tonight. Whoever is going should pack a bag and come back here to leave with him on the Med Jet”.  The doctor finished.

“Thank you so much” my mom said to him with tears in her eyes.

“There is no need to thank me, James is a dear friend and he has done more for me than I can ever repay him back for”. The doctor told my mom as his pager beeped. “Excuse me”. He said before walking away.

I turned to my mom. “See, I told you dad was a fighter, I think you should go with him.” I said to her.

She shook her head. “No you would be better, I mean you are strong and I need to close the restaurant, and….” She stopped as she sobbed.