Chapter 8 - What The...

Start from the beginning

We find a table and Rand pulls me down to sit by him, making the girls have to sit across from us. They both smile at him. "Where are we going to start, Rand?" Nicole asks.

"You need to ask Frankie. She's lead this whole project." He grabs my hand under the table and gives me a nod.

I go over what we need to do to finish the bridge and we get started. I have to correct the girls a few times, which earns me dirty looks in return. We continue to work and about an hour later, finish the bridge. I check it over to make sure that it's exactly what we need and put it away.

"We'll take it home and bring it in on Monday." Ashley volunteers.

Rand is already shaking his head, "No. The person who spearheaded this project will take it home." That earns me another dirty look. I grab the box that it's in to pull it along, but Rand takes it from me and grabs my hand.

Ashley seems to summon her courage, "Are you all a couple?"

Rand stops in his tracks and turns to her, "What business is it of yours?"

She shrugs, "Well, if you aren't a couple, maybe we could go out."

"Not interested." Rand doesn't answer the couple question.

"Well?" Nicole asks.

"Well what?"

"Are you a couple?" She's getting really bold.

"I said this before we left the classroom. What we are isn't any of your business. Quit asking the dam question or I'll tell the professor how little you contributed to this project." There is a complete pissed off look to his face.

That earns me another dirty look from them. Then they look back at him, "We'll see you all in class on Monday. See you later Rand."

He ignores them, "Come on Sunshine."

We walk away from them and he asks me, "Do you mind if I take this to our house? I don't trust those girls and they may try to get into your dorm room."

"I would prefer it," I tell him, "I don't trust them either. I'll give you a copy of the drive also, just in case." He nods and pulls me along to our next class.

After I get off from work this evening, Dylan walks me to my dorm and has me sneak him inside, so he can stay with me. When we step into my dorm room, it's been trashed. My meager belongings have been strung all over the floor. The decorations I bought from the dollar store either torn up or broken.

Instead of feeling defeated like I normally do, I get mad, "I know who did this," I turn and look at Dylan.

"Who?" he asks bewildered.

"The two girls in our work group for class. They were trying to start trouble today between me and Rand, telling him that they see me holding hands and being close to you and Cameron also. They tried to take the project home, but Rand told them that since I spearheaded the project that it should go with me."

"Where is the project now?" He looks worried.

"Rand took it to your house. He didn't trust them and now I know why."

He sighs in relief, "I'm glad that they didn't get that. It would have been disastrous. I'm going to sneak out and you need to call campus security and start a report. Let me know when they finish and then you'll come and stay with us tonight. I'll be outside when you need me, okay?"

I nod. He steps out and I call campus security. They show up quickly and take pictures and file a report. After making sure that I have a place to stay, they advise me that I can't take anything out of the dorm room until their investigation is complete. I take one last look at my room and follow them out the door. Dylan is waiting for me when I walk out of the front of the dorm.

"What did they say?"

"They said that I couldn't take any of my stuff until they finished their investigation and I need a place to stay until then also." I tell him.

"You'll stay with us in your room." Dylan insists immediately.

"I don't want to put you out." I say.

"You won't be putting us out at all. We would rather have you there with us anyway, then we won't worry about you so much." He grabs my hand and my backpack leading me away from my dorm where people have started to gather even at this late hour. "Follow me to our house in your car so you don't have to come back to get it." I nod and follow him and he's parked right beside my car.

I follow him to their house and he shows me where to park in the driveway instead of the front of the house. When we walk inside, Cameron and Rand are waiting for us anxiously and rush over to me, giving me a hug and making sure that I'm okay.

"There's a new toothbrush in your bathroom and I bought you an outfit to wear tomorrow. Since you don't have to work, we'll go and get you some new clothes tomorrow." Cameron says.

"You will stay here as long as you need too. We'll have no arguments." Rand adds. I nod as he hugs me and kisses me on the top of my head.

They get me settled and after I get ready for bed, they all hug me and kiss me on the head telling me goodnight. I get in the comfortable bed that feels like it was made just for me and fall right asleep.

Dylan

"She said that she thinks it was the girls in your work group in class." I inform them.

Rand tightens his lips, "They were giving us a hard time today, trying to ask me out in front of her. I told them I wasn't interested. Then they kept pressing, trying to find out if we are together or not. I finally told them it wasn't any of their business."

"She's here with us now, so hopefully it will be permanent this time. Was she shaken up at all when she saw her room?" Cameron asks.

"For a split second, then she seemed pissed. I'm proud of her. I hate to think what would happen to those girls if they push her too far. She's been through too much in life and it won't be pretty for them if she releases that on them." I heard what she told Cameron about her life. He recorded her when she was talking so he wouldn't miss anything of what she told him, when he told us.

Both Rand and Cameron nod in agreement. "We need to figure out a way to get her to stay here permanently since we have her here now." Rand says.

"All we can do is wait and be patient." Cameron says.

The only problem is I need her to be here with us permanently right now.

+)#