Chapter 34

Carmen POV

As I see Renee's eyes dazes into emptyness, I see a tribute. Huge in size, with no doubt is a major contender. I see her. She uses a simple blade, slicing the ropes that binds my arms, legs. Then as I prepare to grab the archer set, she grabs it and whacks it on my head. My vision goes blurry and I hear, "Carmen, good luck." before I fade into darkness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crystal POV

Renee's dead. But how can that be?

I remove the dart and see what has happened. The surrounding skin decomposes. The dart has been coated with poison at the tip. Just then, the hovercraft comes and takes Renee's lifeless body away.

Taking her two weapons that I can find, I grab the bows and arrows. The golden bow has blood on it. What had happened?

I realize that Ashley and Clarissa are unguarded. I can't leave them there. Dashing, I ran back. But I realize that the plants are unfamiliar. The trees are different. Am I lost?

Just as I see the same exact cave, my nose hits the barrier and I see Clarissa's and Ashley's bodies at the other side, dead.

~~~~~~~~~

Carmen POV

Whispering. Someone's whispering.

"Bloody and was almost dead when we got to her."

"I know. But can you save her?"

"I'm not confident of the wounds' healing to no scars. But she should be fine."

I open my eyes. I'm not in the Games. I'm in this white room, with Capitol equipment all over. I see Serena right next to me, smiling. She has the same dimple of her father and says,

"You'll be fine."

"Why am I here? What's going on?"

"The show has finally begun."

Just as that happens, a syringe goes to my arm and the world melts from my vision.

~~~~~~

Suddenly, I'm in hell again. Same place of where I was tortured. But Renee's gone. Her mace and blade is gone too. Checking up, all my weapons are stripped off.

I search my sock for my backup weapon. My silver, beautiful knife. The one that I never leave without. It's just one weapon but it's good enough.

Just then, I hear the sound of pounding. With sweat dripping down my face to my neck, I walk towards it. My knife is pinned to my hands.

As I cut through the vegetation, I see a familiar sword. I see the dozen knives. I see a familiar length of brown hair.

And I see her. Being murdered in front of my face.

~~~~~~~~~~

Crystal POV

"CLARISSA!" I screech. No... This can't be happening. They should be fine. With my hands, I bang hard on the barrier. The barrier hits back with a powerful force that sends me flying back, with my head smashed onto a tree. I see water on top of leaves. Water! Water!

"Underneath..." I mutter. Just then, the plain field turns over to a small stream of water. Fish swim in it. They are edible. I send a knife to one of them. Lapping water like a dog, I let the cold, refreshing water cool me down. Finally, I've quenched my thrist.

The field rotates back, leaving just moist grass. I'm not shocked that the Capitol has done this. Well played by them. With the fish, I filet it, removing scales and the bones. Here is no time to start a fire but I do anyways. With the little heat, I quickly cook it off and let the sweet, savoury flavour, run through me.