Chapter 45

Carmen POV

My eyes shift to the one person running the District 13 ship right now. She still has that tense look on her face from before. In her hands are more papers, apparently for me. She stares Lawrence and I down before Lawrence breaks the silence.

"Well, Paylor. What brings you here?" He says in a wary tone. You can feel how much he doesn't trust her. Animosity creeps up from the atmosphere. Paylor breathes a deep breath, as if disappointed with us.

"Listen, if you came here to reprimand the shit out of us, save it. Take all the papers." I say, with an anger in my voice that I can't really clearly explain. I get up from the bed and stand up, feeling so much confident than before. Lawrence gets up as well and he has the papers in his hands. He grips on to it tightly.

"What are you here for, anyways?" Lawrence says, a little harsher than before. He looks at her almost so suspiciously, just like his glance to Lance.

"You didn't tell her, did you?" Paylor hisses. No one answers. Paylor shakes her head, again. My rage rises. My gut instinct is telling me to fight back. Don't let her hiss into your head because she's the President. She's not anything. She's just this psychotic bitch who has authority over District 13. But not me. I'm District 12.

"What the fuck do you want?! Get the fuck out. JUST GET OUT!" I scream. She doesn't compromise.

"Lawrence," she starts, with a tone that creeps up on me. She stares him down and after that, says,

"You know what you shouldn't have done."

She finally leaves. My hands goes to the papers in Lawrence's hand.His face tenses up and I fall back on my bed with him. My eyes scan Lawrence's face. He doesn't look pleased.

Before I can probe, he explains himself,

"Okay, I know it's confusing but I need to explain this to you."

"Shoot, babe. I'll be listening." I say. He breathes in hard and starts.

"Okay, so Lance's information in my hands aren't really truthful. Somehow,he had managed to sabotage it. Paylor had warned me before that he could do that to destroy evidence."

"You can't do anything?" I ask.

"I can. But he's tech. I can't control the cameras and if he sees that you are following me, he'll kill you and me to seal our mouths up. I can't risk you getting hurt. Just as I said, he could be watching us." Lawrence says in a hush tone. The room falls silent.

"We need to talk soon. Meet you at the entrance of this District at 2300 hours." Lawrence continues. He kisses me on the forehead and goes onto his bed. Passing a gun over, he finishes,

"Bring the gun as well."

I nod and slip the gun underneath the single bed. My head rests onto the one pillow I have on my bed. Lance comes in, after a while, and has this weird mixture of emotions on his face. He looks at me, almost disappointed, and climbs up to his bed.

Was he actually spying on me? Or did he see that I had kissed Lawrence? Jealous or suspicious?

I remove my braid. My eyes close and for once, I have the energy to dream.

~~~~~~~~

Where the fuck am I? My eyes look around, and all I see is a gun covered with snow on the ground. I pick it up, wary of my surroundings. I've never fired a gun but if I must, now's the time to learn. My hands are trained on my only and sole weapon. My breaths are in quick intervals.

Wind blows through my bones. My face flushes with colour. I warm myself up. My attire isn't really suitable for this. It's just cargo pants with a black plain shirt. My hair is in a Everdeen braid. Eyes trained on the surroundings, I see two figures approaching me. My gun is raised on one of them. The snow becomes a blizzard. The faces appear. A tear escapes my eyes. The blizzard blows harder and harder.