Chapter 2

Carmen POV

I awaken as I hear Effie say that it's a "big, big, day!" I awaken as I see Serena with my training clothes. It's a nicely fitted top with 12 printed at my back and just some long black training pants.

As I go to eat my breakfast, I see that I'm the latest.

"How terribly rude! To be late!" Effie disses at me. She's very particular about this.

My blood is boiling. I'm not late for breakfast. Training doesn't start in an hour. If I'm one thing, I'm early. Just that the rest are earlier than usual.

"Effie! I'm not late,okay? I'm just later than all of you." I lash out. I'm not in the mood to even fight about this with Effie.

"Well, Carmen. Then how to you explain the fact that we are already finished with half of our meal?" Effie counters back.

"Sorry, Effie." I say to her. I don't want to continue this. Not when there are more important things to think about. Such as my life.

Effie accepts it and asks me to sit now. Then she orders my breakfast. I guess Effie is still watching out for me.

Waffles with maple syrup comes with a cup of warm milk and strawberries for dessert. Good enough for me. It's much better than my usual strawberries with bread.

I munch on this delicacy slowly as I try to use the silverware properly. We were taught how to use our old cutlery with the knife and fork and spoon but this was very expensive and classy cutlery. It was very different to hold and to feel.

As I finish up my breakfast, Effie brings us down to the training centre using the glass elevator and wishes us good luck.

When we enter the training centre, the head trainer, Atala, briefs us on the training procedures and the safety briefings as well. Then she dismisses us to train.

I see the Capitol boys going to the weapons station so I suggest to go to the camouflage station first. The trainer, Ture, decides to show us how to do basic camouflage. We ace it and he shows us adapting skills in different climates, weathers, places, environments etc. In an hour, Crystal gets bored and we decide to go to learn how to fish. We soon ace the fishing station before heading on to the weapon station.

At the spear station, I soon meet the Career Tributes. From District 1, there is Felix and Krissy. They are volunteers and from their throwing, they are acing the spears. They also do well in hand to hand combat. Highly intimidating.

From District 2, it's Kat and Clover. When I ask for Kat's last name, she replies with Hawthorne. She's Gale Hawthorne's granddaughter and is Katniss' friend's granddaughter. She was reaped not a volunteer. Clover, however, is very intimidating. She can throw spears, knives, whips,swords and hates Kat. Kat's probably on her death list in the hunger games.

"Crystal. What if we have Kat as an alliance member?"I ask Crystal.

"What? Why?" Crystal asks. It's certain that she isn't willing to accept her.

"Her District partner hates her. The first one dead is surely her. And she quite sweet. She could be useful to us. And besides, she's Gale Hawthorne's granddaughter! Katniss will surely want us to team up!" I reply.

"Carmen, if you want to team with her, fine. But then, we can't have other alliance members. I want Lux to be in our group though. Effie asked me yesterday when you were taking a shower. She was really hesitant to ask me. It went like,

"Crystal, I know this is a lot to ask but could you team up with Lux? He's my nephew. I want him to stand a chance. At the final 5, you guys can split up. I told him that already." You see! Lux is more important to us! And Effie told me that Lux has a secret talent. He. Can. Fight. Effie showed me a DVD of him fighting in a wrestling match in his school last year. He was 1st! He can fight! And what can this "Career" do? I barely consider her one! I've been observing her. She can't kill. She can't shoot. She can't do ANYTHING!" Crystal retorts.