Hope

" Hey."

"Nate."

...

"Naaaaaaaaaaaate."

...

"NATE."

"Gah! Jesus Christ!" Nate looked up at the blurry figure before him. "Matt is that you?" He said face still cringing.

"No, it's the freaking boogeyman." Matt replied slightly annoyed.

"Ok that was a little uncalled for." Nate replied.

"'A little uncalled for?' A little uncalled for!? You know what's uncalled for? Storming out of the house at 11 o'clock in the morning and not coming home after 15 hours!"  Matt seemed pissed and yet his face wore a worried grin.

"What are y- fifteen hours, holy shit," Nate looked up to his un-amused friend. "What time is it?"

"2 AM NATE. 2 AM." Matt's eyes widened as he pointed to his watch, quite dramatically.
"WHAT THE FUCK?!"

Nate looked up at the darkened sky then back down at his hands, a guilty look on his face. "Are you... Ok?"

Matt was slightly shocked hearing what Nate asked. Most people would try to defend their actions or ask for a ride home, but Nate wanted to know if... Matt was ok?

Matt looked at Nate's expression and it softened his own, he sighed and sat down next him leaning on the trunk and looking towards the ground.

He smiled despite his worried eyes "I, I-I just! Didn't know what to think! What to do!" He looked to the leaves as if they could answer all his questions for him. "I jumped into the car after a while and just started looking, I couldn't stop." He was finally looking Nate in the eyes, well not quite looked more like, gazed into them. "I thought I lost you."

There was a moment of silence between the two of them. A quiet understanding only they shared.

Nate hugged his friend digging his face into his shoulder, Matt hugged back and whispered,
"I love you so, so very much."

It was hushed like it was only meant for his, and his ears alone. Nate withdrew from the embrace, confused once again by his strange feelings. He leaned In closer and closer and held his hands around the back of  Matt's neck, then he leaned forward and their lips touched. They both drew into the kiss as if they'd been longing for it, for the others touch, for longer than they realized.

"That was-" Matt shushed him being overly dramatic saying "don't ruin this with words." Nate moved Matt's finger from his lips held his hands close to him and said:

"That was fucking awesome."

Matt got up un-amusingly and walked towards the place he parked his car.

"Well! Ya ruined it!" He said back turned to Nate.

"Aww come on!" Nate got up and tried to run after him. "It was supposed to be romantic!"

"Your idea of romantic is diet coke in bed!" Matt yelled back at him.

"Ok but you have too admit you liked that!" Nate's smile shined through the darkness like a beam of hope, hope of what's to come, and where it'll take them. Hope of their future together. hope that will stay with them as a reminder that they will always have each other.

"Yeah I guess I did."