Ringing in the rain

[Special thanks to @werido88 for coming up with the idea for this chapter, I did alter it a bit to fit better into the story though. so, sorry]

Matt was reluctant to pick up the phone as he dialed in a familiar number...

"Hello?" A feminine voice asked.

"Hey steph,"

"Oh my god, Matthew!" She practically screamed. "W-where have you been? Are you ok? Why didn't you come back? Do yo-"

Matt cut her off.
"Steph, I'm fine, but we need to talk."

"Matt what's going on?" Stephanie said worried.

"I want you to know something very important, now please don't try to interrupt me as I speak. I'm only telling you this because I love and respect you..."

The line was silent.

"I still have feelings for you, I really do, how could I not your my best friend Steph, and I don't want us to go our separate ways so to speak. But like I said before I respect you so you deserve to know..."

"I want a divorce."

Stephanie's side of the call was quite as she said:

"There's someone else isn't there?"

Matt's eyes widened a bit, "y-yes but how did you-?"

"We've been married four years Matthew, do you really think I wouldn't notice?" Stephanie said with a sad smile.

"Then I'm sure you know who I'm talking about..." Matt teared up a little, "damn it! I just- I'm sorry, I'm so sorry! I don't want to end things with you! I didn't ask to feel this way!"

"Honey it's ok. You can't help it, but no matter what I'll always be there to love and support you..." Stephanie said, "...I'll admit this does hurt me, but if it makes you happy, I want to let you know you have my blessing."

Stephanie then burst into tear filled giggles "God were being so dramatic! Hehehe~

Matt smiled to him self not knowing why,
"I love you ok? Even if not as a lover then as my best friend."

After that they exchanged some small talk and each hung up on each other. Matt got up and walked to his room, not knowing what to do next.

Little did he know Nate had heard the entire conversation.