Chapter Thirty Eight

Start from the beginning

The sneezing and runny nose persisted through out the day. Fallon trooped on, she wasn’t going to let some cold run her down. Fallon had to clean her car, and wash it, she also had to stock it with blankets…during the tour she liked taking naps. She watered the flowers, and by the time she got inside she was ready to drop. William called to ask her if she wanted to go to some art gallery opening. When she declined, William asked if she was feeling okay after hearing her sneeze several times. Fallon assured him that she was alright.

It wasn’t until a few days later that Fallon realized she wasn’t okay. Thursday had come with a fever. Fallon had been bed ridden the entire day. The sneezing had not gone away…worse she was only about four days before going on tour. When William called later that day, he told Fallon he was coming over to see if she was alright.

Fallon didn’t have the energy to argue. She couldn’t open her eyes for long. Before he had hung up, Fallon had drifted off into a feverish sleep.

Fallon awoke to the doorbell ringing. At first she felt disoriented…not comprehending where the ringing was coming from. Slowly she got up, wrapped in a light blanket and wobbled out of her room. Managing to maintain her balance, she opened the door to see William standing there.

“You look like hell.” He said, coming in behind her. He locked the door as she padded to the sofa and lay down. “I feel like hell.” She told him from the couch. “Have you eaten anything?” He asked with concern. It was odd for Fallon to hear his voice this way. Concerned over her well being. She snickered, not being able to control herself.

“What’s so funny?” William asked. “You’re trying to take care of me.” She told him, still snickering. “Har...har…now tell me whether or not you’ve eaten anything.” He said again. “A little last night but then I didn’t feel well this morning so I couldn’t eat. I don’t want to throw up.” She told him. “Have you been drinking fluids?” He asked with the same tone of concern. “What are you? My doctor?” She asked, with a little irritation. “No, but you’re going to need one. So just answer the question.” He told her, sitting down on the sofa across from her. “No doctors…I’m alright. I drank some water a little while ago.” She told him.

“I still think you need to see a doctor.” He told her. “No…it’s just a cold. I’m going to be okay in a day or two.” She pleaded with him. “Fine, I won’t take you today…but what about the tour?” William asked her. Fallon had completely forgotten about the tour. “I’ll be okay in two days…Craig is going to kill me.” Fallon had always dreaded this.

“Let me check if you still have a fever. You’re talking nonsense…you don’t know if you’ll be okay in two days.” William told her bluntly. He got up and crossed the gap between them. He put the back of his hand over her forehead. He felt cool, Fallon noticed as his hand touched her skin. “You’re burning up, Fallon.” William said, worry in his voice. “I feel hot and cold. There’s a thermometer in one of the drawers in the kitchen. Can you get it, please?” She asked him. William obliged. He checked her temperature with the in-ear thermometer. “You’re fever’s about 100.9 degrees. I should take you to the doctor, Fallon. Come on.” He urged her.

“No…it’ll go down. I don’t like going there.” She whined a little. “Please…I don’t want to go. I’ll be good…and drink lots of water and it’ll go down.” She pleaded with him. His face told her that he didn’t want to give in…but when she pleaded a bit more, he gave in. “Fine I’ll give it one day. If tomorrow your fever hasn’t gone down…we’re going to the doctor.” He told her with all seriousness.

“Okay fine.” Fallon agreed. At least she didn’t have to go today. Fallon got up quickly to go to her bed. As soon as she had gotten up, she felt dizzy. She teetered. William grabbed hold of her before she lost all balance. He led her to her room and she fell asleep before her head had hit the pillow.